Buying kitchen appliances - what to think of?

poppet27

Talk to me about white goods.

We're planning a new kitchen and might get as much as we can in the sales. We need (all integrated): double oven, hob, microwave, washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher and a fridge freezer.

There's only 2 of us now but we're trying to think ahead about sensible choices in case we have a family. All I know is that I really don't want a combined washer-dryer, I'm 'meh' about fancy brands and features on fridges and dishwashers, and I really need a delay time on the washing machine.

What am I not thinking about? What has been a lifesaver for your family? What do you think was a fad, in hindsight?

• 2 weeks later...

We have an electric double oven installed at eye level to avoid bending (also if young children to prevent them opening doors and burning themselves). We have a separate gas hob - so if there is a power strike we have alternative cooking source. Washing machine absolute essential - the best you can afford i.e. in 20 plus years we have only had a Zanussi and Miele and use machine at least 5 times a week.

Never bothered about tumble dryer or dishwasher (unless you entertain a lot of have a large family - at the most there are 13 of us).

What I regret is having light grey floor tiles which show up every mark - should have gone for something darker.

What I regret is getting a fridge/freezer that is now too small for our family of 5. If I planned a kitchen again I would allow space for a side-by-side American style fridge freezer or a separate full-sized fridge and freezer. I also should have bought a quieter washing machine.

I love having a separate washing machine and dryer (I do use the tumble dryer in the winter) and I couldn't cope without a dishwasher. I've never tried this, but I've been told that having 2 dishwashers (side by side) saves on having to put the dishes away as you just take clean dishes from one washer, use them and then load them into the second. Apparently it can be a space and time saver in a kitchen.

Like Pugwash, we have an eye level oven that saves bending and stops children from messing with the dials or burning themselves.

We have a wooden floor, which has saved us from breaking too many dropped dishes, but isn't as durable as tiles.

If we had space, I would go for two dishwashers: one ultra small capacity for daily use, one large capacity for entertaining.

I've had a combo washing machine / dryer. I didn't like it. If we had the space, I would have a tumble dryer because they're great for sterilising towels and removing pet hair. We only have a washer now, and we manage. You can also use a small electric dehumidifier to help laundry dry better.