Unusual Deposit and Fee Nursery Terms: Piplings

Hi,

I've been offered a place at Piplings East Dulwich but a couple elements of their terms of condition jump out at me as strange. I was hoping if you could tell me how these compare to the other nurseries in the area:

1. There is a 700GBP acceptance deposit that they keep in general operating fund until you leave and is not applied to your fees once you start. Given fees are paid in advance the fact that they hold on to such a large deposit seems strange and also the fact that its not held in escrow but in the general fund and therefore can be used by the nursery seems to put parents at risk if the nursery gets into financial trouble.

2. If the manager decides your child isn't suitable for the nursery for any reason, they expect you to pay two months worth of fees after you've been kicked out. They call this fees in lieu of notice (typical notice if a parent wants to terminate is 8 weeks, which also seems long).

Any feedback on how these terms and conditions compare to other nurseries in the area would be great as they strike me as a bit cheeky!

We are at Little Unicorns in Canary Wharf and those seem more punitive than their terms. They do have two months notice to leave, but to be honest since it would take a good 4-6 weeks to arrange alternative childcare I'm not super worried about that.

I am not a lawyer but I suspect that them demanding 2-month's fees in lieu of notice after kicking out your kid would be unenforceable under the Consumer Rights Act.

My biggest concern would about giving them an unsecured interest free loan of ?700 for 3-4 years!

It might be worth speaking to Trading Standards or Citizen's Advice to get their view.

That all sounds highly irregular. Our lovely old nursery, Blossoms, had nothing like that (this is going back a bit so maybe it's different now but definitely not when we used it). The one we briefly used before - which shall remain nameless (not Piplings) - had more dodgy T&Cs, though still not as bad as these. And actually it turned out to be a rather weird place and I think the T&Cs were a sign of that.

I would say trust your instincts. It certainly doesn't sound reasonable to me and I'd worry about what it says about how the place is managed. I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, and God knows it's hard to find reliable childcare, but you're going to be dealing with these people day in and day out and you want to feel that it's a nice, straightforward, fair organisation.

Be interesting to hear from anyone who has kids at Piplings...