Gumboots vs Goodrich school Nursery

Hello! I am long time reader, first time thread contributor so please be gentle...

We currently have our two boys, 3yrs and 1y, in Gumboots nursery. The 3y old would be able to start at Goodrich Nursery in september (would **hopefully** get into Goodrich primary the following year as we live very close) so we are considering moving him from Gumboots after the summer. Main thinking is that this would make transition to primary school easier but also perhaps more structured learning might benefit even though he is only 3. Moving him though creates other issues (multiple morning drop offs, need to find childcare outside the 3hrs a day at Goodrich nursery and school holidays) so we just wanted to get a sense of any significant changes from Gumboots to Goodrich, good or bad, that other parents had experienced when moving from a private local nursery (ideally gumboots), to goodrich. Things like change in behavior because of difference of structure or perhaps evidence of better learning (at one or the other) would be particularly helpful.

Also for anyone who did make the transition and found any wild and wonderful hacks for working parents to navigate the more complicated childcare as a result of the change (before or after nursery drop offs, before/after school clubs), then me and my wife would be very happy to hear them!

thanks very much

Lockers

Hi Lockers

My eldest son went to Gumboots until he started Reception at Goodrich - no problem settling in at all. Very smooth transition.

My youngest son went to Gumboots Nursery, then Goodrich Nursery followed by Goodrich Reception. He did not settle any easier than the eldest.

All the advice I can give is to go with what makes life easier for you. Multiple drop offs can be a pain if you really do not need to do them. The food at Gumboots is fab from what I can remember and the staff very caring. They are very caring at Goodrich nursery too of course but if you really do not need to make the move just yet it may not be worth it.

I honestly don't think your son will be missing out on any valuable learning. He will have no problem making friends either. At that age children are very keen to play with each other whether they have know each other for 5 mins or 5 months!

Hope this helps.

I don't have experience of school nurseries, but my (much) older son moved very easily from his nursery to reception - and even two subsequent primary schools while we tried to get one closer in the borough we lived in. At that age, they're very adaptable.

My youngest is in the pre-school room at Gumboots, and I'm the opposite as was wondering if it would be worth keeping him there an extra year, and having him start in Year 1 instead of Reception, as it's such a lovely environment there for them, and when he starts school, his outdoor play will be seriously restricted. In many countries (including Finland, where my partner's uncle and daughters live, where the education system has been ranked #1 in the world), children don't start any sort of formal learning until they turn 7.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Goodliz, regarding keeping things simple. I'm due another baby in August, and my son will start reception next September - when I'm likely to be going back to work.. the thought of navigating two dropoff/pickup locations, doesn't exactly fill me with joy!

Also, just to say that I think Gumboots do a really good job of preparing the children for reception, and there will be many kids joining school reception who have never experienced any sort of structured daycare setting, so your son will definitely have that as an advantage :-)

thanks everyone for the posts. Lots of really helpful info to help me and my wife make an informed decision later on this year. Still keen to hear about anyone's experiences particularly of Goodrich nursery so feel free to get in touch on here or via a pm.

My two children went to Goodrich Nursery and on to Goodrich School. My daughter had been at Gumboots for two whole days per week, so swapping her to 5 half days was something she really enjoyed. However, it was easy for us as a family at that time to cover the afternoons and our younger son's sessions at Buds or with his childminder. Headwe both been working full time we would have stayed with whichever option would make our busy lives easier.

There is no need to worry about the benefits of more structured learning or anything like that for 3 year olds, really there isn't.

Eldest did private nursery then Reception. Second did School Nursery then Reception. No difference in settling in, learning. Do what is easiest. We had a Nanny by the time the second was old enough for school nursery so was easy to do the wrap around. Don't stress for 3 year olds.