prendergast or kingsdale?

We're in the process of applying to secondary schools for our second child. We're in the enviable position of having a sibling place at Kingsdale, and are fairly close to Prendergast in Lewisham so may well get in there on distance. Just wondered if anyone has experience of sending their children to different schools, in different boroughs, and how that has worked out....

My second child doesn't come up for secondary for a year or two yet but am also thinking of possibility of sending her to a different school. I don't anticipate a problem as they make their own way to secondary school and generally are pretty independent on a day to day basis.

The main problems I've found tend to be when they have different inset days or when events clash and we have to be in two places at the same time. However, as they get older it seems to become less of a problem than when we had children at primary and one at secondary. Also, no possibility of hand-me downs either. However, I think they do like the fact they don't have to travel together to school and that their style is cramped by a sibling.

Hi Brockleymum.

Just thought I would mention we are at the scary stage of secondary school visits.

Problem is we all hear the Horror stories and never anything positive.

We visited Kingsdale and liked it very much ( to our Surprise) also did prendergast plus Many,many more.

I have also since found out that my daughter's friend has a sister in kingsdale and is doing fantastic and love's the school.

Good luck with schools.

albert Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Noquestion, Prendergast a much better school.

I'd be interested to know how current is the information you're basing that opinion on albert? Prendergast was considered to be good many years ago now, but when we went to look the infrastructure was very run down & shabby. Kingsdale is a real success story (current exam issues notwithstanding), it's a thriving buzzing school with a real energy about it and a lot of very happy, motivated and achieving kids (and happy parents too). The teachers & staff are so proud of their lovely shiny school and this rubs off on the kids. By contrast Prendergast gave of a real impression of resting on their -rather old & shabby - laurels.

So if it were my child I'd have to say the opposite; No question, Kingsdale definitely the better school.

Yes, I preferred Kingsdale as well, even though we live much closer to Kingsdale. Prendergast was my second choice for my daughter but I've never regretted my first choice. She's now in year 8 and really thriving in every sense!

There are 3 ... I was referring to the 'original' one which is now Prendergast Hilly Fields. I always thought my daughter would go there (we can get in on 'distance'). My dilemma is the fact that my son is in year 8 at Kingsdale, loving it, and thriving musically and academically. The school is marketed fairly aggressively, but to be fair, the Head has delivered on his promises, and my son is still being taught in groups of no more than about 20. It's a tricky decision!!

I have no idea what Prendagast is like and it was not a school we looked at. My son is in Y8 at Kingsdale and is also thriving both academically and in sport. We were told that once Y7 was behind him he would no longer be treated like 'royalty' and would have larger class sizes etc - like brockleymum's daughter he's still being taught in small class sizes (often smaller than 20) and is having a fabulous time there. I agree the school is marketed fairly agressively and that can be off putting (I told the head that if he ever gives up teaching he should consider sales) but there are still some people who think Kingsdale is a dreadful school and so I suppose they still feel the need to sell themselves.

I'm not so sure about that Sillywoman, I was dragged kicking and screaming to see Kingsdale two years ago and parents from our son's primary school are still often surprised when we say our son goes there. Of course that might be because good news about schools gets to Croydon long after everywhere else! :)

My daughter is in Yr 8 at Kingsdale and thriving both academically and emothionally. The pastoral care is fantastic her as is the comunication between tutors, head of years and parents. 99% of parents I know who have sent their children here, are entirely happy with the outcome so far and so are the children.