Porridge

A few people recommended porridge for my dodgy stomach/IBS and today I actually managed to make a proper batch on the stove - all previous attempts being soupy failures.

Delicious and my little boy ate some too (some miracle). Quick question. Can you prepare the day before and reheat as needed? Getting ready in the mornings is literally a race against time so I don't see myself preparing fresh porridge (usually I haven't got time for coffee let alone anything else).

thanks

Have you got a microwave? its so easy to do it that way. For every e.g. half cup of porridge put one cup of milk in a bowl, mix, then blast in micro for 3.5 mins on high. Makes enough for about 2 adults and doesn't need to be pre made so nice and fresh...

Another option is to put the oats and milk/water in a bowl in the fridge overnight, then zap for a couple of minutes in the morning - makes it nice and creamy. I don't think reheated porridge would be very nice.

We love it in our house, we add sultanas and cinnamon, yum!

We make porridge every morning and second what Pickle does (which does make it really yummy), but also put the porridge on very first thing (microwave two minutes) and then leave it to cool with a topping of fresh milk to stop it turning into a flapjack. Then it's only a 15 second zap when you need it.

Sadly our previously healthy bananas, dates, sultanas, cinnamon and other fruit toppings have been abused by maple syrup, golden syrup, honey, sprinkles, whipped cream.

Not all at the same time I hasten to add.

Best start to the morning!

Oh, and coconut milk is wonderful on it - but dead fattening if you need to watch lbs as I do :(

Definitely in the microwave - I find better with quite a flat bowl - we use pasta/soup-type ones - the milk bubbles a lot but if in a flat bowl it doesn't explode. I prefer mine milky, daughter prefers hers almost like flapjack! I tend to use less milk than I'll want then use fresh cold milk on top and mix round to cool it down and loosen it out. Saucepan definitely not possible in the morning...!

Sorry, I'm a traditionalist - got to be made on the stove. And with salt. But partial to golden syrup, honey,dates, raisins etc on top. Kids love it like that.

Apparently the real traditional way is to pour it into a scrubbed drawer, leave to cool and take a slice to work in the morning......I'm not THAT traditional!

The key to good porridge (and this massively cuts the cooking time down too), is to soak it overnight like this:

1/2 cup of oats

1/2 cup warm water

1 tsp live natural yoghurt

You can soak the oats like this, in the pan ready to heat in the morning.

Then, when you are ready to eat them, add another 1/2 cup water, heat until your desired consistency, and enjoy!

I personally like mine with a bit of coconut milk block added to the porridge when cooking, toasted coconut, raspberries, strawberries, maple syrup and milk on top! Yum!

SG88 all options covered on the porridge making front. You mentioned you were at home today though, and I find the crucial factor in any tummy pains I get is being at work. I don't know if its the added stress (WFH is fine - perhaps its the commute!) but also I pretty much always work through lunch, and eat sitting at my desk. I think that's the problem - your body needs a bit of movement after eating to help the digestion.

Try a quick 5 minute walk after lunch to see if it helps. Even a loop around the office will be good.

Have you tried making porridge in a slow cooker? It's usually trial and error but the longer to cook steel cut oats are better. Try Alfords. I have a small slow cooker I use overnight. Can add fruit etc. There are some suggestions on the internet. If you make it in a slow cooker then you could keep in fridge and then reheat during the week in microwave. You can also use your slow cooker as a bain marie. Put smaller bowl inside with oats - ratio is usually 4 cups water to 1 cup steel cut oats. If you google crockpot oatmeal you will find many recommendations.

Otherwise I prefer to make it on hob. I recommend Flahavans (Irish) which is available at the Irish Shop on LL. Can add dried fruit like cranberries or cherries. Or sliced apples and cinnamon.

One site:- http://www.frugalupstate.com/recipes/recipe-overnight-crock-pot-oatmeal/

My stomach seems to be ok with porridge - not sure it is IBS and not something else still need to see GP about that.

Did not manage to make any this morning despite best intentions. Will try the overnight soaking method in a jug and see if that works out.

But yes the stomach issues almost exclusively happen on work days. I walked up 10 flights of stairs today just to get some exercise.

Same here, always get ibs at work. I think it's a combination of eating quickly, not being able to digest quietly and not wearing loose clothing lie I do at home. Peppermint tea seems to help. I also eat lots of pain yoghurt. I avoid apples, salads, onions. Hope this helps.

Morrison?s quick'n'easy porridge (100% oats) takes just 4 minutes - to a saucepan add 1 part oats, 3 parts water, milk or both and salt to taste. Bring to boil while stirring and it?s done. Add a dash of cold milk, fruit, jam, honey or whatever. Delicious. A 1/2-cup measure makes a small or medium serving.