How to get young kids to use inhaler?

Any seasoned parents out there got tips on how to get a canny almost 4 year old to use an inhaler? She's had a bad croupy cough the past 2 nights and doctor has given us an inhaler. But as we suspected (and our eldest did too when she needed it when young) she got freaked out by the puff of the little cannister.

Any fun ways to get her to take it? Or sneeky ways would work in the middle of the night. Nunheaddad has taken them down to his mum's so he's having to cope on his own.

As ClareC says, hope you were given a spacer to use with it otherwise very little will be inhaled by your daughter.

Maybe by encouraging her to put stickers on the spacer, use it to give favourite teddies or dolls dosages.

If no spacer given contact GP asap in the morning and maybe ask (if it is croup - has she had noise when breathing in rather than out?) whether oral dexamthasone would be of benefit rather than an inhaler. HTH's x

We did get a spacer but she freaks when you pump the canister into it. I guess you can't really pump it away from her then bring it up to her face - tho may be better than nothing.

Could try with the dollies and maybe get her to pump it. A few lost doses shouldn't matter as hope we don't need it for long.

Otta - liquid ventolin is a big no-no these days!! Really ineffective - had never seen it till I worked in ED (where the GP's had prescribed it & children were brought in as they'd worsened/not improved).

"Wasting" puffs to help her get use to it is fine, would try to avoid puffing it before its near her as don't think she'd get much - if it's causing this much stress should at least ensure she inhales enough to be effective. Being a bit older would sticker/reward chart or even 1/2 a chocolate button after each dose help? Also remember you can pause & compose yourselves between each "puff" (should only have one puff in the spacer at any time anyway).

Hope she's feeling better today & fingers crossed she'll be off this v soon x

Let her puff it herself?

Whennmynchild was fussing in the early days, I would puff x 2 with my handover the outlet then rush it to her nose. Not sure how well it worked, as people have said, but when he alternative was a total refusal, it was the best I could manage

Since she was about 3, she has understood why she needs it (she coughs a lot without it) Ands more amenable

I think the fact that she's with Daddy is probably part of the problem....she always plays up more with him. But she also does tend to get concepts into her head and can be a stubborn one to move, so the refusal isn't only his fault. I'll try having a chat with her once she's back home tomorrow and see if we can take the grown up approach (agree with the bribery....although after Easter, it's bad timing to bribe with chocolate!).

She seems to be getting through the night without it or with as much as Daddy can get into her. I think he's using it after she's dropped back off so she probably isn't getting a full dose but some is better than none. She just seems to have a bad patch around 1-2am and then drops back off till morning. She's not in critical need of it though (fingers crossed!) - it's more it would make her more comfortable if she did take it (and help everyone else sleep better!).