Advice on potty training

Ole

This morning my 2.5 son took of his trousers and his nappy off, put the nappy in the bin, pulled out his potty, did a wee, and then came to tell me about it (I was making breakfast and did not know what he was up to. He then told us that he wants to go to shop to get pants.

Taking the cue from him, today we went to the shop and let him choose some pants, and this afternoon he has had two accidents although the second one he did run to me telling me he had a wee but by the time we got to the bathroom it was too late.

So my questions are.

Clearly he is ready to be potty trained, but how do people manage:

1. For nursery. Do I put a nappy for nursery or do I keep him in pants and give them lots and lots of spare clothes?

2. Do I wait until he is going to the potty regularly at home before sending him out into the big wide world in only pants?

3. Once he is out and about in pants, how do you do if we are, for example, on the platform waiting for a train and he tells you he needs to go?

Any tips appreciated thanks!

With both of my older children we went into pants full time during the day from day 1 of potty training. Nurseries are used to it, so yes, just send lots of clothes and make sure they are aware that they need to keep an eye on him.

For out and about, take a potty with you. I kept one under the buggy - the Potette travel potty is excellent as it folds flat and uses little bags which you can then seal and throw away rather than having to find somewhere to empty it.

I was surprised at how quickly the initial phase passes - both of my kids (a boy and a girl) very quickly mastered it and we actually ended up having very few accidents. It helps if they are ready, which it sounds as if your little boy is.

definitely agree with Pickle. They will get muddled if they are in and out of nappies and pants depending on nursery days or not.

There will be accidents, particularly if they are having a lot of fun, and not remembering to tell you if they need the loo, but just take a travel potty and spare change when you go out, and if there is an accident, give them a hug, tell them not to worry, but to try to tell you next time.

Also boys do have an advantage of being able to pee in bushes.

That's great to know thanks. Some weeks ago he also showed signs of being ready - he would ask for a wee and do one in the potty, but after a few days he lost interest so we did not push it. I will persevere with the pants for a few days and see what happens - how long should I give it? For example, could today have just been a fluke? (last time we thought he was ready but clearly after a few days he lost interest). Are there any bribes I could use to keep his interest?

I agree with the straight to pants except that if we had a car journey I put pull ups on and called them 'travel pants' as really didn't want to have to deal with sopping car seat and long journey! Never caused any confusion. Think prob also used them in the supermarket in v early stages. Asked my nanny what he did at the park if little B needed a wee and was initially horrified by 'he goes in a bush' but it is so much easier with boys, you can just go in any vegitation if a real emergency...