Breastfeeding problems after c-section

I've just been to see a friend who gave birth to her first baby last week via an unplanned c-section after an induction and 3-day labour. The baby is 8 days old and mummy's milk hasn't come in yet. She managed to get baby latched on whilst in hospital but had problems getting her latched on once they got home. They were subsequently told the baby had lost too much weight at 3 days and adviced to go on to formula. The baby is now being formula fed and they keep trying to put her on to the breast and expressing without any luck.

My friend is understandably upset but what shocked me is that the midwife and health visitor who have been to see her at home don't have any help or advice for her other than 'well, some babies simply aren't interested in breastfeeding so you'll have to formula feed'. Astonishing. I've pointed her towards the breastfeeding cafe at Peckham and also suggested her GP may be more helpful and she should demand to be referred to a lactation consultant.

Was just wondering if anyone on the forum has some tips, advice or experiences to share that may help? I'd hate to see her give up on bf as clearly she really wants it to work and surely there is more that can be done. I'm sure I've heard of drugs or supplemental feeding systems but not sure how widely used they are. She had the baby at Tommy's btw.

Your poor friend, sounds like crap support when she needed it most. I had an EMCS following a very long induction but my milk came in on day 4 or something like so no personal experience. I'm sure others will be on soon to offer that but here are some bits of advice that might help:

- call claire kedves at kings if that's possible following Tommy's birth, amazing lady who has helped so many.

- check for tongue tie as well as latch - get private lactation consultant if necessary or else Peckham breastfeeding cafe.

- pump pump pump after every attempt to breastfeed - but don't pump on place of offering boob

- feed pumped breast milk using either syringe or cup so baby doesn't get nipple confusion

- spend day(s) in bed naked with baby loads of skin on skin, warm baths, lots for mum to drink (and I mean lots)

- lactogenic foods - google contented calf cookbook and ingredients that help - fennel and oats off top of my head but loads more

- fenugreek - also call Dulwich health matters for supplement advice

- don't feed to any kind of schedule and offer breast as often as possible even if baby keeps refusing - even just contact builds up supply

- post this question on the leaky boob page on Facebook - there will be people there who've had this experience and also with supplemental nursing systems (SNS) and its a fantastic community.

I'm sure there's lots of other advice to come but I hope some of this might be of some help.

Best of luck to your friend xx

Jill Dye (07816 136 477) is a certified private lactation consultant, as originally recommened to me and Hubbie by Forumite Pickle. Jill can come to you. I think she charges around ?35/hr, and initially spent about 1.5 hours with us. I think we called her on a Saturday, and she came the next day. She may also be able to recommend someone else if she is unavailable. xx

I could not breast feed post c section and found that really hard to deal with for the first few days. It's just so painful trying to put your baby in different positions when your stomach hurts like hell and you may have been prescribed metrinizodole so you go even crazier. All I want to say to your friend is...if breast feeding is too much then formula feeding isn't the end of the world. I was actually happier once I decided that breast feeding wasn't going to work and formula feeding was going to be the option I took. You still love your baby and can have the same intimate relationship with them if for you can't or chose not to

Breast feed.

Her body has had terrible trauma from a three day labour and section. It is not surprising that it has closed down, maybe temporarily, on the production of milk. Mummies need to get well and be well before they can give give give to babies. I would try the ideas outlined above but also remind your friend that formula feeding is fine, really, while trying to help her with her preferred option. She has to think of herself and get well in order to be the best possible mummy to her little one.

I didn't have a c section and it still took 8 days for my milk to come through, it was v hard! A midwife that came to see me helped me with his latch and for love nor money we couldn't get him to latch without a nipple shield on (I used madela ones).. My biggest regret is that I didn't get a lactation consultant in to help me and I will defo do that for number 2..

Hopefully her milk will come in soon, x

After my c-section I read somewhere that c-sections can sometimes interfer with the production of certain hormones and result in milk coming in late - sorry for being vague, it's been some time. I definitely recommend getting a lactation consultant - like Strawbs, big regret that I didn't

Thumbs up for contacting claire kedves at kings - she is amazing, and get your friend to speak to the GP, domperidone is a drug that can help, her GP should be able to advise.

Best of luck

mxx

Would disagree about speaking to the GP, I think it's pot luck & depends on the personal view of your GP. Have heard plenty of horror stories of women locally being 'told off' for breastfeeding, or being given inaccurate & unhelpful advice from GP's. It my be worth sounding them out but your friends best bet if she wants to put her energies into it, is, as others have said, either Claire Kedves at Kings,one of the breastfeeding cafe's (I hear great things about the one at Peckham Library) or a good lactation consultant.

The best one locally is Hazel Jones over in Nunhead. She has forgotten more about breastfeeding than most of us will ever know in our lifetimes! She has worked for years (voluntarily) at the nationally recognised Deptford Breastfeeding Centre helping women with all sorts of issues (Breastfeeding after a CS is notorious for being problematic), plus she's also worked for may years as a local NCT breastfeeding counsellor. She really knows her onions, and she's lovely ;)

The best way to contact her is by email, she's on; [email protected] She's often out & about helping women feed their babies during the day, but she accesses her emails regularly and will respond pretty quickly.

I hope that your friend can get the help she wants/needs OP.

SW