buying a 2nd hand carseat really that dangerous?

hi everyone

went into peckham mothercare the other day and they had a alot of leaflets about buying a 2nd hand car seat and the dangerous it carries. iv just bought a 2nd hand car seat for grand parents house and am just a bit worried :S should i keep using it? its in such a clean and unused condition as this was a 2nd carseat for another formites grandparents.

any advise would be appricated!

thanks!

BFE x

I thought the reasoning behind not buying secondhand is because you don't know if it's been in an accident or not. So if you know the person giving you the car seat, and trust them, it should be fine. We've been incredibly fortunate to be gifted car seats and have felt perfectly fine about it.

I also speak as someone who is quite cautious about these things - we have a growing pile of mattresses which I wont use as I think it's important to follow guidelines in most instances.

If you know where it's come from, it's fine. But yes if it has been involved in an accident there could be damage that you can't see. It's not worth the risk. Kiddicare do car seats brand new, prices around ?35.