Harris Boys academy and SEN provision ?

Gorby

Hi All

We are looking at secondary schools for september for our son who has high func Aspergers (Autism).Of all the schools we have looked at he said that his first choice would be Harris Boys and his second choice was Foresthill Boys.Any advice as regards SEN provision and pastrol care at these schools would be great.We have a good feeling about Harris Boys from our visit and the same goes for Foresthill Boys,but of course the more information we have the better.Thanks :-)

Hi Gorby

My son is in year 8 at Harris Boys, he does not have any SEN needs but Ive heard from other parents that the SEN provision is good. From a personal view my sons experience of the pastoral care has been very good. It is a small school so the staff get to know the students very well. Ive meet the SEN Co-ordinator, she seemed very on the ball and caring, I suggest you contact her directly, her name is Karen Sitch, her email will be on the school website or call the school directly.

Hi DenmotherSmith

Thank you for replying to my post,we met with the SEN on the SAT open day and we got a good feeling from that meeting.Also like you have said the school is smaller than most so we feel that would be easier for our son to adjust to.Its good to hear that your son is having a good experience,we spoke with our son last night and it is his first choice so we put it down on his form and hope for the best outcome.Also Im going to try to get down to the last open morning on Friday just to get a feel of how the school feels in operation.

I have a son attending the school who suffers from mild anxiety problems (not classified SEN) so once we found out our son had been offered this school I contacted the SEN Coordinator to see if my son could have a look around the school of a proper working day (not open day) to help him overcome his anxieties. His Year 6 teacher helped by writing to them to outline how the anxiety affects him. We met both the Mentors who were fantastic, very open and have continued to be very supportive. I think what is important is for his current class teacher to be involved prior to the move to the school (some of this will already be done through normal transfer processes)and for you to document your understanding of his limits/boundaries/needs/talents to share with the school. The school is really strong on parent/child/school partnership so I think you'll find they are quite progressive.

There is another parent on here with a child with Aspergers in Year 7 who may have more to add but I'm afraid I cannot remember her user name.

As far as anything else is concerned, I'm afraid it is too early for me to comment only 4/5 weeks into Yr 7. Jury is still out but my child is happy and has almost no anxiety (this has never been managed before!).

I hope this helps.

Hi EDmummy

Its good to hear so many positive comments about HBAED.Im glad your son has settled in well and is getting the support he needs to enjoy his time at school.I will try and get our sons year 6 teacher involved in the transfer process as she has been very good at keeping us in the loop so far.

All the best

Gorby