surveyor vs competent builder friend

pinecone

Could someone recommend to me a good surveyor, (based on the thoroughness of their report, mainly), who is familiar with the vintage of houses around SE22 and environs, and especially with the kind of extensions (and shortcuts) which people make on them?

I have endured one too many slapdash reports, which I could have done myself, with a competent builder friend in tow. In fact, that might be the preferred strategy. Surveyor reports seem to be there merely to keep the mortgage company happy that what they are lending on is in fact what they think it is and not about to collapse, etc

Thanks, all.

A surveyor's report for a building society or other lender is there to protect the society's interest - the (only) question being answered is 'is the proposed risk equity in the property of the value stated?' - you can (to save money) additionally ask the surveyor for a 'full structural survey' which will protect your interests - or you can instruct an wholly independent surveyor (but then you are paying for 2 surveys - the other way the cost of the lender's work is subsumed in the full survey done for you).

You and the lender have different needs and requirements - but you have to instruct the surveyor to look after your needs (and pay for this) if you want a survey of value to you - for instance in negotiating price with the vendor.

I would always advise a full structural survey - but then it is helpful to get a surveyor who is familiar with the type of property you are looking at (and local issues of land slip etc.). If you do plan building works (i.e. extensions, or roof replacement etc.) getting a friendly builder to look at the property at the same time will give you some indication of costs.