Londis - East Dulwich Road

This store has signed up to be a UPS access point, meaning if you aren't home when UPS tries to deliver to you, you can collect your parcel from this store. In theory, not a bad idea; in practice, absolutely dreadful due to the appalling attitude and shocking rudeness of staff.

I was repeatedly told, "you're not a customer, I don't get anything for collecting parcels for you. Buy something, then I'll serve you." The server then proceeded to ignore me, actually stepping back from the counter and waiting for others to enter the store so he could make me wait longer and, presumably, proving his point that he was there to serve 'customers'. After he'd told me the above statement for the 6th time, I quietly stated that he had said that several times already and there was no need to repeat it further. He then told me I couldn't have my parcel at all, before eventually telling me to come back another day, then finally handing it over. Still speaking quietly and politely, I asked the server for his name, which he refused to tell me. I then asked who the owner of the shop was, as I would like to make a formal complaint about his behaviour. He gestured for me to get out, telling me I could look up how to complain on the website. (Presumably he meant the Londis website, however, this shop isn't actually listed as Londis. It's owned by VS Services (UK) Ltd who, what a surprise, don't have a website.)

So, obviously I'll never shop at this 'Londis', but I will now be cautious about ordering parcels delivered by UPS.

UPS do seem to have been consistently selling the Acccess Point scheme as a way of increasing businesses' turnover. This is from a 2014 article:Local businesses sign up to be a UPS Access Point, and while they make ?significantly less than $1 per package,? the benefit of serving as a package pick up point for the neighborhood is increased foot traffic, says Light. Ideally, if a New York City resident picks up a package at the neighborhood grocery store, then he or she will also pick up tomatoes and cheese at the same time.https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/238264

And their current recruitment page is headlined "Join Our Network. Attract customers and generate additional sales." https://www.ups.com/gb/en/services/e-commerce/access-point-network/recruit.page

But if it's not working as such for a business, I can think of better options than taking it out on its users.

I had something similar happen with me in there when I tried to check 3 lottery tickets. (Kids were playing in the park, I'd bought ice creams from the shop 1 hour earlier, but went back later to check tickets).

Haven't been back :(

That's terrible.

I picked up a parcel from a small shop in Lordship Lane (I think it was) which I rarely otherwise use, and they were perfectly fine about it.

Why would a shop take in parcels if they didn't actually want to do it? Maybe they should be reported to the parcel company.

I, too, have collected and delivered parcels to other local shops (Lordship Lane and Barry Road) and never experienced anything like this! It was really upsetting!

I did complain to UPS as, even though they have no control over staff at Access Points, it still reflects badly on their company. I was impressed that they replied the same evening, apologised and advised they would be contacting the manager of the store. (I still won't ever return to that shop, but I'm at least glad that UPS acknowledged the issue and apologised.)