vespa fuel theft

matty40

This seems to be a fairly consistent problem. It has happened to me twice in the last few years and I know it has happened to others. Unfortunately Vespa fuel lines make it easy for the little shits to make a quick get away with your fuel. The police aren't likely to pursue this type of crime. It will happen again so you'll need to work out your own deterrent!

I caught a kid and his mates (in 2 small cars) taking mine a while back, they sped off leaving my petrol (all ?3's worth) in the gutter. I reported it to the police, obviously wasn't much they could do, but they were very understanding and speedy in their response.

A couple of years back I had my battery nicked too, very inconvenient.

It's just so easy to do.

i had mine drained a few months ago luckily, none of the fuel pipe was cut to get access to the ?1 of petrol left in the tank. Only option I am afraid is prevention, like chain the right hand side of the bike next to a thorny bush, alarmed with covers, or beat the scum at their own gain, drain it yourself first.

• 1 month later...

Tbh, The Piaggio engineer who designed that system should be strung up for that design. I've not even bothered to replace the bumper in fear of it getting destroyed again. I'd rather they took the fuel with no damage.

The annoying thing for me is that I didn't notice until taking it to a petrol station, filling up and then looking down to discover?12 worth of petrol on the forecourt having drained from the detached filter.

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> you can get motion sensitive, alarmed padlocks

> (and they're not as expensive as you may think. I

> used to use one to secure the bike cover at the

> bottom with. Any attempt to move the cover would

> set it off.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TripNeeds-Alarmio-Versatile-Sensitive-Personal/dp/B0056GK11Q/ref=pd_cp_diy_2 would do it.

From another forum:

"I would get creative with something like...

Connect up a fake fuel line to the point where it is being stolen, attach it to a bottle of something nasty like...

* Water mixed with a lot of sugar and a bit of colouring/fuel to make it smell right - I believe that will screw his engine and he will have no more need for fuel. "

I don't endorse this.

I have CCTV at my property, which was installed by CCTV Camera Europe. Excellent service so I would like to recommend them, but my reason for posting here is that I had this rather unusual email this morning about them looking for people who want to tackle unusual problems using CCTV and appear on TV. I'm posting in case it is of interest to anyone.

"I have been approached by Channel 4 (CCTV in Britain) and Channel 5 (Caught on Camera) looking to film how CCTV can effectively deter and solve problems.

The bigger / more unusual the problem, the better, so if you are experiencing something like continual antisocial behaviour or siginifcant theft, then you could be suitable.

I'm prepared to install FREE HD CCTV upgrades, so final CCTV Installation will be seriously impressive and it is a WIN WIN situation for everyone.

If you or your business are interested in appearing on TV and want to tackle a problem using CCTV, please let me know?

Regards & Thanks

Eoin Clarke

Managing Director

CCTV Camera Europe (UK) Ltd

www.cctvcameraeurope.com

View our latest videos

Protect your Street -

Protect your Business -

10 Tips for effective CCTV -

• 1 year later...