Dog Kennel Hill Adventure Playground under threat?

Perhaps not, but loss of light might be an issue since all the flats face that way.

In any case, kids facilities should be supported in inner cities.

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No doubt there will be a few who argue that this

> is the city, so what do you expect? I'd object but

> a number will say we need more housing at whatever

> cost. I'm not sure that having "views stolen" is

> an argument that cuts it these days.

Possibly but it's outside of his ward. South Camberwell I think.

keane Wrote:

> That playground isa vitalocal resource used by so

> many local kids & they run some really good

> holiday projects for young people. Is James Barber

> aware?

Healey, I doubt even loss of light will cut it. You can see lots of local developments where there is loss of light as well as views but those developments are still being driven through. Think of the studio flats that are being built on small strips of grass on the Dog Kennel Hill Estate. The underpinning rationale is this is the city and homes are needed, so cram 'em in and build 'em high. You may even find play areas are viewed as a luxury if instead homes could be built on that space.

Healey Wrote:

> Perhaps not, but loss of light might be an issue

> since all the flats face that way.

>

> In any case, kids facilities should be supported

> in inner cities.

>

>

> first mate Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > No doubt there will be a few who argue that

> this

> > is the city, so what do you expect? I'd object

> but

> > a number will say we need more housing at

> whatever

> > cost. I'm not sure that having "views stolen"

> is

> > an argument that cuts it these days.

I think the threat might be in their funding -- the council is cutting youth services and they will prioritise their own services (like putting money into Peckham Rye AP) vs. one in the voluntary sector. We need to fight to save our local services, and the DKAP is an important one! Its much more than an AP -- its a sanctuary for a lot of kids.

Marshalls Dad Wrote:

> I'm afraid your source is not as solid as you

> think andrewc. I was at the adventure playground

> yesterday and spoke to Patrick regarding this

> thread and he assures me it's untrue.

That's good news. Thanks.

Hello there,

Kate here from Dog Kennel Hill Adventure Playground.

Just to say we are not closing down, so please dont worry.

We are however closed tomorrow, but are back open Thursday & then reopen next tuesday for our Easter Playscheme.

Thanks so much Kate

P.S We appreciate all of the lovely calls & visits we have had making sure we are not closing!

I've just made a donation too. My kids have spent many a happy hour racing around the adventure playground having fun with their friends. The team who run the playground are just wonderful and I hope my donation will help with development plans. Thank you, DKHAP!

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/charity-web/charity/finalCharityHomepage.action?charityId=1006023