Cigarette Scam

Has anyone been approached by a bald/overweight indian/pakistani gentleman tonight claiming that their newsagent/offlicense is shutting today and they need to get rid of all their cigarettes and other stock? Selling 200 cigarettes of your choice for ?40? I handed over ?40 like an idiot and was told to wait round the back of the shop and his son would come out the back and give the cigarettes to me.

I know I shouldnt been so stupid to give the money over without getting the stock first.

Many thanks,

Andrew

(The mug who just gave a twat ?40)

Reminds me of my friend's son who was disappointed in the queue for Glastonbury when a nice middle aged man told him he'd got a spare ticket and if the lad gave him the money he'd go and get it. He was only 17 and the bloke was very polite and plausible (aren't they all) and so........

I would put it down to experience; the old saying "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" applies.

I made a similar mistake in the early 1990s at King's Cross when a bloke asked me for ?30 to get a train back to somewhere. We swopped addresses and he promised that he would post me the money back.

Of course weeks later I wrote to him ask if he would be ever so kind and let me have my money back. No reply...

same here, when i fell for a sob story to a beggar "auntie is ill in Bromley, have no means of getting there, she has no one" etc etc I gave him the money for the train. Next week he asked me again, 'sorry you'll have to change your story you stung me last week' he of course moved on to the next person.

Lowlander Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would put it down to experience; the old saying

> "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame

> on me" applies.

>

> I made a similar mistake in the early 1990s at

> King's Cross when a bloke asked me for ?30 to get

> a train back to somewhere. We swopped addresses

> and he promised that he would post me the money

> back.

>

> Of course weeks later I wrote to him ask if he

> would be ever so kind and let me have my money

> back. No reply...

TheArtfulDogger Wrote:

> A friend of mine on a night out in Peckham was

> approached outside the then Chicago's night club

> and asked if he wanted to buy some grass

>

> Ten quid changed hands and my friend received a

> little package of green lawn grass ...

>

> It's easy to con the greedy I think is e

> expression here

I was in Brixton the other day and a guy stopped me and asked if I wanted to buy some "Hash", I said "Yes ok, I'll have 2kg as I have a large family, you'll have to tell me how to cook it though". The guy shook his head and walked away.

I remember years and years ago in the old Brockwell Park Tavern someone had painted strands of spaghetti with a black marker pen and cut it up small to be passed off as LSD. The person must have made a fortune that night. Don't blame yourselves con artists are very clever people. And before anyone asks, yes I was one of the conned!!

Toffee Wrote:

> I remember years and years ago in the old

> Brockwell Park Tavern someone had painted strands

> of spaghetti with a black marker pen and cut it up

> small to be passed off as LSD. The person must

> have made a fortune that night. Don't blame

> yourselves con artists are very clever people.

> And before anyone asks, yes I was one of the

> conned!!

black microdots where the biz.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember like it was yesterday...it was about 15 years ago in

My first proper pay day ...

I was going to the shops to get some booze and this mid age Caribbean guy approached me and asked if I want some weed .

I said I'll have a tenner ...

He then said that he'll give me nice ?20

I said why not .

Then he said that if I give him ?50 I'll get a big bag worth more than ?60 .....

Few min later we agreed on an ounce ...

(Yes he wasn't going to give me any weed and I was so smart and simply told him take all my money)

That day I was running for my life being chased by couple of black guys with knives...

Didn't loose any money but that was a lesson I will never forget .

Or of course you could take it as an opportunity to stop being utter berks.

And to quote the great Bugs Bunny "QUIT BEIN' A MAROON! AN IMBISIL!"

As well as following the wisdom of the equally great (as Bugs B) Keith Richards who reckoned the money he wasted (?) on hard drugs was the "price of an education".

Also consider the teachings of Buddha who in this sort of situation would order another pint and proclaim "Oh for %$&*'s sake, and some of these b@st@rds probably have piggin' driving licences"

So, think on!