Stolen camper van

Debi

Lynne Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does having all your vans parked in the street

> count as trading on the street? (which probably

> need some sort of licence.)I'm always grateful I'm

> not one of their neighbours trying to park.

Please see my previous comment. The company you're talking about hire VW vans for holidays etc and are a completely different company to East Dulwich Campers, who are a garage. EDC had a separate part of their business, building VW Urban Campers in their factory in Poland. This is the company that has gone bust, though the Polish company still exists and it appears that EDC is also still operating from their unit in Tyrrell Road. Their website is still up but I don't want to link to it as publicising them is the last thing I want to do.

No, parking your customers vehicles in the street does not count as 'trading' in the street. Amazingly, such Motor Traders can use the street to store an infinite amount of vehicles, as long as they are taxed and insured and they are not actually being repaired on the street.

As a Tyrrell road resident I can confirm that parking is a bit of a nightmare. The street simply cannot handle the parking demands of the storage of vehicles of the 3 different Motor Trade related businesses operating out of the trading estate, plus the employees of the various businesses, plus the natural parking demands of the residents of the street.

So sorry to hear about your loss of what is no doubt a treasured vehicle. I have some friends with camper vans and realise how special they are to the owners. Unfortunately, living on Tyrrell Road, I have slowly grown to hate them!

I have always wondered how a customer would feel if a vehicle was stolen (or badly damaged) while under the 'care, custody and control' of the Motor Traders there, where in reality the vehicles are just stored on the street. Also where exactly that would leave the owner and trader in respect of such a loss and the insurance implications?

I knew there was a new "owner" of the Camper Van business and that Oliver had moved on recently, I didn't realise about the liquidation and debts. Just looked at the list of creditors, pretty terrible stuff.

To be clear, the stolen camper van is not ours. We're among the creditors of the liquidated business and lost my late father's legacy. Oliver has not 'moved on' though whether he's working as the owner or (nominally?) as an employee for the new owner is open to question.

This is the full post by the poor woman whose van has gone missing:

'My lovely applejack green van, home for many an adventure, has gone missing. Please look out for it - and spread this message far and wide.

It was in the van garage to have a new seat fitted for my newborn daughter ready for our summer holiday when it went missing.

If you're on the road, or looking to buy a van here or overseas please look out for it. Camper van community - I know you have eagle eyes - please look out for my beloved van and let me or the police know!

Reg: NEY 465R

Type: 1977 Westfalia VW camper van with original fittings

Drive: European left-hand drive

Fittings: Original fittings, pop top

VIN: 2372100581

NB if anyone in south east London is looking to have any van work done, I would recommend that you avoid asking Oliver Taylor of East Dulwich Campers (which has now, I find out, gone into liquidation, though is still trading), also director of AOB Classics Ltd and also invoicing under Marco's Campers.

It took him three weeks to let me know my van had disappeared from the street near him while I thought work was being done. http://eastdulwichcampers.co.uk'

I don't know anyone that does other than one of the businesses from the trading estate whose camera covers the entrance, so very much doubt that would help.

It depends where it was parked. They all "store" their vehicles on Tyrrell and all the surrounding streets (Ferris and Hindmans)... ridiculous really.

So unless East Dulwich Campers know, remember or declare where the vehicle was parked I am not sure where you can concentrate your efforts.

Are Genevieve's insurers not paying out because it was under the care of East Dulwich Campers??

Seabag Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Is this the person who has all the camper vans

> > parked in the road opposite Rye Books?

>

>

> They belong to DubDubAway who hire them out. It

> sounds like fun!

It certainly does, but sadly too expensive fun for me :(