"Homeless American Veteran" Denmark Hill Station

EDmummy

Yes, I have seen him a number of times. The first several months ago - I gave him some money, I've wondered a few times since about whether he was visiting a friend in the hospital, or sleeping rough and getting help from the Salvation Army. I've seen him on/off, perhaps every other week since. I wonder how he has ended up here - it's so odd that I have questioned whether it is genuine or just a story for passers by.

There are limited support mechanisms for veterans in both the UK and US. Veterans make up a not insignificant proportion of homeless people. I'm more curious how he's ended up in the UK (if indeed genuine US veteran). He was holding up his passport yesterday but as I was on the bus I didn't get too close to it.

jimlad48 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> He was back tonight - its an odd thing. There are

> support mechanisms in place for real veterans, and

> its worth noting that in the US a lot of people

> claim to be veterans to help beg cash.

Referring to me whypter? I'm most certainly not gullible (notice the inverted commas in the subject title?) but I do have a heart and am aware of organisations that support homeless people. The desire to help someone in need is human. I was trying to find out if he actually was in need, if he's not then I no longer need to worry.

whypeter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> apparently the word '' gullible'' is no longer in

> the OED

not really referring to anyone in particular EDMummy...just amazed at the gullibility of people...Dulwich is widely known as an affluent area with a generous soul, and its exploited to the fullest..just try and get your brain into gear...American war veteran??? in London ??? particularly Dulwich?? why not Camberwell??? or Nunhead?? or Belgravia where the American Embassy is???

For starters if he's at Denmark Hill station he isn't in Dulwich, he's in Camberwell, so that's your main point out the window. Secondly, I know a US veteran who lives in East Dulwich - he's happily married and settled, but if, heaven forfend, he developed mental health issues or in some other way found himself on the streets, why wouldn't he stay around here? I have no idea if this guy's genuine or not, but your cynicism reflects little credit on you.