"Homeless American Veteran" Denmark Hill Station

EDmummy

People with mental health problems are a significant proportion of the homeless and can be difficult to help. They don't manage money, housing or personal relationships very well. The trauma of war means ex-soldiers can find themselves on the streets.

An organisation that tries to help is http://www.nosecondnightout.org.uk. Centrepoint helps homeless young people and the much-maligned council houses many of them. There's a Southwark Food Bank and the Manna Centre in SE1 is a place where people can wash, chat and receive their post.

Spoke to this guy about a week ago. He was holding out what appeared to be a genuine US passport and some sort of military service ID. Says he's from new York but came to UK to start a better life. I believe him that support of ex service personell I US is limited. Has no money but does have a place to stay. He says he sometimes hangs out by the Plough. Clearly has mental health issues possibly PTSD but i didnt push the subject and am not qualified to diagnose. Difficult to know what kind of help he wanted or needed rally. Was thoroughly pessimistic about the types of help available; embassy, hostels, social services etc. Even though he was standing opposite the Salvation Army building. Was very friendly but loud, gave him 2 quid as I didn't have the "couple of bucks he was asking for

rendelharris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> For starters if he's at Denmark Hill station he

> isn't in Dulwich, he's in Camberwell, so that's

> your main point out the window. Secondly, I know

> a US veteran who lives in East Dulwich - he's

> happily married and settled, but if, heaven

> forfend, he developed mental health issues or in

> some other way found himself on the streets, why

> wouldn't he stay around here? I have no idea if

> this guy's genuine or not, but your cynicism

> reflects little credit on you.

Perhaps your friend could have a word with him and see what the problem/s are. One vet to another

Thanks, ED_moots. I didn't pick his accent for NY but def knew it was genuine US (hard to tell though as I only heard a few words). Glad to hear he has somewhere to sleep. He must be in a terrible situation as an non-EU citizen when it comes to healthcare! Can't see him being able to access mental health services through NHS but might be possible through Combat Stress or one of the other veteran orgs.

ED_moots Wrote:

> Spoke to this guy about a week ago. He was holding

> out what appeared to be a genuine US passport and

> some sort of military service ID. Says he's from

> new York but came to UK to start a better life. I

> believe him that support of ex service personell I

> US is limited. Has no money but does have a place

> to stay. He says he sometimes hangs out by the

> Plough. Clearly has mental health issues possibly

> PTSD but i didnt push the subject and am not

> qualified to diagnose. Difficult to know what kind

> of help he wanted or needed rally. Was thoroughly

> pessimistic about the types of help available;

> embassy, hostels, social services etc. Even though

> he was standing opposite the Salvation Army

> building. Was very friendly but loud, gave him 2

> quid as I didn't have the "couple of bucks he was

> asking for

DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

> I was at the bus stop today and he was there. A

> lovely chap offered him food, he refused and said

> he needed cash.

Does this guy deserve a personal thread above the other homeless people we have here already. if he's refusing food and wants cash I'd suggest he's dependent upon something that requires cash. possibly if he refuses food he also refuses legitimate help from homeless charities - id say its unlikely he hasn't been offered targeted legitimate assistance already.

Mick Mac, I started this thread as I was curious about his story (as I am about most homeless people) and did not have the intention of signalling him out but if I've done so by starting the thread, my bad.

Mick Mac Wrote:

> DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I was at the bus stop today and he was there. A

> > lovely chap offered him food, he refused and

> said

> > he needed cash.

>

> Does this guy deserve a personal thread above the

> other homeless people we have here already. if

> he's refusing food and wants cash I'd suggest he's

> dependent upon something that requires cash.

> possibly if he refuses food he also refuses

> legitimate help from homeless charities - id say

> its unlikely he hasn't been offered targeted

> legitimate assistance already.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm curious, why does his nationality matter?

Why does it matter if he is or isn't a "actually" veteran?

The point is, the guy is homeless, possibly mentally ill, and he's a human being who clearly needs help. Cash for a quick fix (food or otherwise) is almost never the solution... supporting and volunteering for homeless charities is, not to mention electing a government that understands the serious mental health crisis this country is facing.

Having said that, stopping to talk to vulnerable homeless people -- if it is safe to do so -- can sometimes be a very humanising experience and offer the comfort of personal connection. I applaud the OP for taking an interest.

WHYPETER, I don't see that anyone said "war hero" except YOU, so in future before criticising maybe pay a little bit better attention...? Perhaps you should ask yourself why it's important to you to convert others to your hardened, cynical world view?

While it is important to be charitable it is also important to not be fooled or cheated - if only to prevent others from being so. Assuming everyone is mentally ill is dangerous and patronising and stands in the way of getting at the truth and ultimately helping that person. (I have seen the man and he seems, on the whole, lucid and reasonably fit and the kind of person who could avail himself of usual routes to help - the embassy, charities, etc. I tried to talk to him but he carried on shouting about his plight so I couldn't talk to him further.)