Car in Camberwell Cemetery

TonyQuinn

On Saturday, I saw a car enmeshed in the cemetery railings on the corner of Forest Hill Road and Wood Vale. First of all I hope everyone involved is ok. I suspect the car ended up where it ended up because driver was speeding down the road and tried to overtake on the inner side where the road narrows but couldn't so ended up where it ended up. If so, this is unsurprising. I've been worried about exactly this for years now and have complained for years to Southwark Council about speeding on FHR to no avail. Imagine if you were standing at the junction waiting to cross the road. Anyway, does anyone know what happened? If it was a result of what I think it was about, I think we need to mobilize against the council(s).

I think average speed is a bit of a false statistic. The problem with that stretch of road is that there are many who go way more than that. It's a narrow road, and one which people use to accelerate. It's not steady speeding. Speak to the lollipop lady up by Cabrini school. Poor woman puts her life on the line every day. It's s scandal. Also Southwark and Lewisham have each sought to pass the buck. Terrible deriliction of duty.

we always do 20mph in roads where that is the limit and believe me when I say many drivers do nearly double that.

we've been hooted tailgated, and on occasion overtaken by drivers going into the lane of oncoming traffic.

we need more speed cameras.

NewWave Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> we always do 20mph in roads where that is the

> limit and believe me when I say many drivers do

> nearly double that.

> we've been hooted tailgated, and on occasion

> overtaken by drivers going into the lane of

> oncoming traffic.

> we need more speed cameras.

Yep.

Same up Sydenham Hill.

It's the tailgating I find really intimidating.

DbBoy, what do you mean?

It's perfectly possible to travel at 20mph.

That's a different issue to whether that's a reasonable speed limit on particular roads, which I would agree in some cases it isn't.

Renata, as part of the study are they looking at the junction between forest hill road and Brenchley Gardens. Cars fly round the corner at high speed onto Brenchley Gardens and I think it is extremely dangerous for pedestrians crossing. I've nearly been hit a number of times by cars without indicators on.

That junction with Brenchley Gardens is a joke. Cars dart out of Brenchley while cars bomb it up Forest Hill Road as they see two lanes, before realising it narrows. Coming out of Canonbie is hairy at best. Same applies with coming out of Honor Oak Rise and Netherby, the former has big blind spots especially as cars bomb it up Forest Hill Road.

And who can ever forget the lunacy of the construct at the top of Forest Hill Road and the chicane with Honor Oak Park and Honor Oak Road - anyone remember the car that crashed into the gates at Cabrini school? Add in the fact that the road markings on much of that stretch has all but disappeared and you have a recipe for disaster.

Renata we need a holistic approach to the mayhem that is that road and we need it sorted soon, cos I guarantee you things are getting worse. Please advise who we can contact.

Forest Hill Road from the boundary with LB Lewisham down to Dunstan's is being looked at. The junction with Brenchley Gardens is being looked at as is the crossing point outside St Francesca Cabrini Primary School. Plans are in the process of being drawn up and we are probably looking at around Juneish for consultation to open.

Renata

Thanks very much for that Renata and really pleased the insane layout is finally being considered.

Can you please clarify exactly what you mean by the boundarywith LB Lewisham. And who is taking responsibility as one side of Forest Hill Road at the top is Lewisham, the other Southwark. Can you also provide give me details of the relevant people at the councils to contact, the local councillors whose remit this falls under and whether Harriet Harman is the sole MP covering the area, or does it fall under the auspices of Helen Hayes in East Dulwich too? You can direct message me if need me with this information.