Anyone else missing Inside 72 and Magdela

Mick Mac

I used to like the Magdela for watching sports, especially the Six Nations when it always showed all of the games, no matter who was playing, or as a stop off for a beer on the way down LL. I've seen a lot of posts in favour of magnolia, but have not been tempted to go in there myself and although I'm sure it has its plus points, it seems a bit quiet. I think most of the improvements to ED pubs have been for the better over the years but this and Inside 72 were better as they were. Inside 72 was not for everyone and it was not a bar I would go to regularly but it was different and the new bar just seems characterless. It seems a shame that all bars go "upmarket" but some have less charachter.

good shout RosieH - and you will find me there often enough

I miss Inside 72 still (found some snaps of it on it's final day just last night) and although I used to watch sport in the old Mag(s) I much prefer it's new incarnation - I've moved my sport watching to EDT, Hoopers and maybe CPT (if I'm not watching at home)

While I like the new Mag I have to say that I seem to go there a lot less now than I used to.

The reason being that the old Mag was the only place I could go on the way home from work when there was cricket or perhaps a rugby match on, stop in and have a few pints and a pizza for my tea.

The new Mag is the kind of place my wife and I will go for some lunch on a Sunday or dinner during the week when we don?t want to cook. For this kind of thing it is just 1 in a plethora of choices.

Inside 72 was special and I?m just glad we had our time together while it lasted. It was the closest thing I could get to my student days in this suburban malaise of moribund, mania and middleclass, mediocrity.

I have refused to go into the Magdala sinces its been "changed"

The place was 5 minutes from my house and therefore my regular venue for all things rugby related. I'm afraid when I'm facing a choice of a 15-20 minute walk to Hoopers (not the EDT too small, and too crowded)I tend to stay at home. For me a real loss.

I too mourn the loss of sports coverage at the Magdala. I used to nip in to watch the cricket when things were getting dramatic, as I could be there in less than a minute. A ten minute walk to CPT or EDT loses the spontaneity. Live sport in a pub, particularly cricket, is a good catalyst for striking up conversations, which is a bonus for those who like being communal over a pint. With the Ashes happening next summer it looks like I am going to have to subscribe to Sky, something that goes deeply against the grain.

I was thinking the other day how I missed IST. Bar Story is a good alternative and the fire outside at night is nice. Think Liquorish on a saturday afternoon is good as well, and I have met and spoken to a few civilians in there after a few pints, just like I used to in IST - altho the seating in IST made for far easier conversations with strangers who by the end of the night were friends (sort of!).

I think I'll miss the old Mag more acutely in 2009, come the six nations and the Lions tour. I think one or more of the owners were Oz/Kiwi and thats why they liked to show the rugby, its a very sad loss for rugby fans (and cricket too based upon other posts) there are plenty of places to see footie but there was nothing to compare with a winter afternoon in the mag watching back to back 6 nations games - there was a real international (home nations and ireland) flavour about the place and a good friendly rivalry.

I used to have no bother at all dragging friends over from their areas to east dulwich as it was such a good venue and we'd try Inside 72 later in the evening. I'll have to tell them next year that both pubs are gone.

I understand that IST was perhaps a small enterprise and perhaps they got a good offer or perhaps were forced out by a lease increase, but the Mag seemed to be a large successful operation and I'm unsure what might have caused them to move on. Does anyone know what happened? thanks.

Made a point of going to the Magnolia on Saturday night for a drink with my wife. It was actually very nice. It was well set out, clean and nicely decorated. It was perhaps a bit too nice, but suits someone coming out for a quiet drink and a chat.

There was probably a max of 25 people in there and were either couples or small groups of females who seemed to be having a nice enough time but I felt it might struggle to make much of a profit as noone there seeemd to be visiting the bar very often, more just passing time with a drink.