complete the online survey of South London Line rail passengers ASAP

As a result of the campaign against the rail service cuts, London Travel Watch, the official passenger watchdog, have commissioned The Railway Consultancy to do a Passenger Survey of users of the South London Line (the service between London Bridge and Victoria via Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill) and the Dartford ? Victoria service via Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill. We were expecting to be able to comment on the wording but they did the survey without notice on Thursday. However our protests at the lack of information have prompted them to reopen their online survey, which was closed after one day. Please pass this info. on to any other rail users you know.

If you use these rail services, please go to http://www.railcons.castavote.co.uk and follow the instructions to get your survey number to be able to complete the survey card questions. This is what it says:

If you do not have your survey card to hand and therefore do not have a survey number to enter, please email mailto:[email protected] stating whether you use:

* Southern services between London Bridge and Victoria

* Southeastern services between Victoria and Dartford

* Both of the above

* Clapham North underground

A new survey number will be emailed to you.

Thank you

On behalf of London Travelwatch

if you have had a survey card on the train, and you have any feedback on it or on how it was being conducted or received, please post comments here.

Sakwhita - use the instructions above and email the info address to get a survey number.

Eileen - a one day survey when few people know the risk to the service. That's one way of ensuring being able to report a low level of interest I guess! I've asked for my number and will fill it in asap!

Applespider Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sakwhita - use the instructions above and email

> the info address to get a survey number.

>

> Eileen - a one day survey when few people know the

> risk to the service. That's one way of ensuring

> being able to report a low level of interest I

> guess! I've asked for my number and will fill it

> in asap!

Yes you are right. We were astonished, shocked actiually, as we met London Travel Watch just two days earlier and were promised info in advance on the survey so we could alert people. Then we heard about it actually happening by people posting on this Forum. Very disappointing to put it mildly. The survey is happening only because we said that there needed to be a survey of users and their demand for the line, as all the plans to close it have been on the basis of guesswork. And the wording in the survey card is unlikely to have alerted rail users, who haven?t been aware of the issues before now, to the importance of responding. The online survey is now continuing as we protested about the lack of information. But it doesn't get to the rail users not reading this Forum or not on the SRUG email list.

I got given a card on Thursday at the station, and entered with my survey number online.

Feel I ought to follow up a couple of points made here?

To give out the cards without any publicity does at least mean the cards go to people who are on the train that day so they may be able to cross check with some other boarding figures about how many people got on or off trains about the actual usage that day - the main questions on the card were about where you were travelling from and to. If you?d handed out the cards on more than one day then you might get people entering a couple of times which wouldn?t be wise. Quite how many percent of those people on trains that day who will respond is another matter, one for the surveyors to work out.

June isn?t the best of times to do a survey, as it?s at the start of the holiday season, but I guess Travelwatch have had to move fast to get the surveys commissioned and to have waited a little longer and you?d have been getting into July with many more people going away etc

I suppose they?ll have to separate out the people who apply now in any analysis.

I'd agree except that I got on a train to Victoria on Thursday morning from Denmark Hill at around 8.15am and didn't get a card at the station or on a train so how many were they handing out and at what times. I've had my survey code and filled it in accordingly. I filled in one for my trip into London and one for the trip back.