Stolen - Grey Mountain Bike

Tzrnutt

A Carrera mountain bike was stolen from outside the herne tavern thursday night. It was a bike I had borrowed because my own bike was stolen from outside ED station! As you can imagine I am royally cheesed off. I'm searching the free ads for both bikes. Hopefully I'll get the chance to "buy" it back...

Is there a high rate of thefts in ED or am I just bringing up the average??

Bike theft is rife and you need to lock it to something before letting it out of your clutches. One of the stall holders in brick lane market said they were suffering a huge rise of stolen bikes being sold by the thieves, and the police are turning a blind eye or can't be bothered to nick them, even though the stall holders have tipped them off.

Don't buy it back for christ's sake! Find the bike and turn up with a means of causing a slow and painful death to whoever has it. Bike thieves are the SCUM of this city and should be hung drawn and quartered.

Actually, i've just gone for the Evans Cycles insurance scheme....?30 a year to insure both mine and the gfs bikes. Well worth it I think, particularly as I've had two bikes taken in the past year.

Does anybody have any good suggestions to avoid this curse of bike theft, apart from the obvious ones of course? One thing I'm gonna do with my new bike and which I think would be appropriate for anyone with anything of any value is sand off the logos and scuff up all the paintwork, maybe add some gaffa tape, baiscally to make it look like a knackered piece of crap. Perhaps doing that might make woth less to thieves and hopefully put them off.

there was a really good article in a paper this week that suggested you use 2 different types of lock on your bike at the same time that means the thiefs will have to carry twice as much equipment to steal them.

they also suggested cutting your saddle - and mending with duck tape - painting it with matt ugly paint- covering all labels that state brand etc.and putting things in your spokes- can't remember what they are called that go on kids bikes- we have been busy!!!

womanofdulwich Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> they also suggested cutting your saddle - and

> mending with duck tape

Perhaps it would be better just to use a strip of duck-tape to give the impression that the saddle is damaged rather than actually mutilate it? Replacements are quite expensive ? the cheapest I found was ?22.

• 3 weeks later...

SteveT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Were they locked to anything immovable?

Yeah. They were locked t metal bike Stands. Other bikes were locked there so I thought it was a well used, safe place.

eater81: by "buying it back" I meant "going with 4 large friends and using all the irons in my golf bag." :)