Landcroft Road in 1891, 1901

Hello all. First time poster here.

In 1891, my grandfather (aged 5 at the time) - Arthur Russell Parsons - lived at 109 Landcroft Road. His father, John Parsons, was a railway porter (born 1859).

By 1901, the family had grown in size and now lived at 134 Landcroft Road. My grandfather was now a mechanical engineer apprentice and his dad was still a railway porter.

Its fun to look at these houses today using Google Map and to think of my grandfather growing up here. (I believe that the street numbers in effect then are the same today. Certainly, the flat above 201 Lordship Lane, where other relatives lived at the same time, occupies the same numbered building today).

Anyway, I was wondering if someone could tell me what duties a "railway porter" had at the time and also where my grandfather's family fell in the social hierarchy - solid working class merging with lower middle class, etc.

Also, if anyone could look the family up on the 1911 census without troubling themselves to tell me where they lived in 1911, I would much appreciate it.

My grandfather emigrated to Canada in 1913 with all of six pounds in his pocket and founded the Canadian branch of our family.

Thank you in advance,

Alan Parsons

Brighton, Ontario, Canada