Dulwich Paragon - anybody on here a member?

Nah. I've been out on a saturday morning ride with people of all ages, sexes and on all sorts of kit, folding bikes, hybrids, MTBs etc.

Just come along, wear a helmet and have a pump and a spare tube with you, oh and something to eat and drink. There are people out who are there to look after you. We don't drop people and there are several groups at several different speeds. If you do come out seek out Steve (a Kiwi) or David Joss Buckley, they are very friendly and help out new riders.

I was wondering more or less the same as Mazza. Do many people ride single speeds on the Saturday rides? Just got a new one after riding a MTB for X number of years. Not sure I can make this Saturday but am definitely up for some organised rides very soon.

What's a typical Saturday route (distance, location, time etc?)

I've got bull bars on my new ride. Tried out a few drop-bar track bikes but couldn't get used to the position.

I'm too used to having my hands near the brakes!

I'll give it a few months and then might switch for drops.

Tried my bike with the fixed hub today - very strange indeed, and potentially dangerous when you can't freewheel!

I've seen the saturday route (it' the same route every sat morning) ridden on a fixed wheel. Have you got a flip flop hub? If so, just ride it as a single speed first time out and see how you go. There's a few hills but you'll be ok if you've got basic fitness.

Thanks, Sandperson. Yeah, I've got a flip flop hub and am sticking to freewheel for now - fixed will take a lot of getting used to and probably not ideal for a first-time club ride.

Hills not really a problem. I've made it up DKH & Denmark Hill/Herne Hill so far with out collapsing in a heap.