Anyone an expert long walker???

Morgan89

I am going to register for a walking marathon through london in September and was wondering if anyone has trained in the past or goes on hikes and wouldn't mind a tag along that has to do some serious training beforehand?? Many thanks

I trained for and did the Oxfam Trailwalker event (100Km over the South Downs Way). I basically walked home from work (then Temple to West Norwood) as often as I could and did (as far as memory serves) 4 all day training walks with members of my team so that we could learn to walk in pace with each other in order that we could keep together and give each other lots of moral support. I found that the best training walks (usually between 12 and 20 miles) were those we did on the actual course we were going to be walking as that made it feel less daunting - plus the S Downs Way is beautiful!

The thing which i did least well on the walk itself was eat...I know it sounds bonkers but having started walking at 5am, by the time it got to 10pm that evening I couldn't eat anymore and then I had a massive energy bonk in the middle of the night (which is definitely not what you need). Luckily I had a very patient and supportive team and managed to eat something new at one of our middle of the night stops so it was a bit better after that.

I'm sorry that I'm not doing any serious training at the moment so can't invite you along for the ride but good luck and I hope you find someone.

S

PS have you tried listening to the Rambling series with Clare Balding on the BBC iplayer - i've just started and it's making me chomp at the bit to get out and do more lovely walks.

I managed to do a 26 mile walking marathon without blisters but I did see some people in agony with them. I've never hiked as far as 100km in one go - guess I've done about 13 miles in a day in hiking boots but I've very rarely got blisters then either.

I think in both cases it's a mix of

- getting the right socks. In trainers I wear one pair of well fitting socks, no seams in awkward places (seam free if possible). In boots I wear an inner thin liner sock and an outer thicker sock with cushioning. The idea is if there's an rubbing it takes place between the socks and not your foot and sock - after nearly 20 years of hiking and most years no blisters I think it works.

- getting the right trainer / boot.

Hiking boots I always buy a size up - helps give the space for the extra sock and being enclosed all day your foot needs the space to expand and the toes need space to stop them bashing at the front of the boot when you are on the way down any steep hills. I was away in the peaks this weekend and there was a new girl with too tight boots who ended up with bleeding toes after the first day and the second day we had to cut the walk short as she was in so much pain. Depending on the terrain I would be careful with my choice of boot - because I do some awkward rocky paths I have some which are pretty stiff with pretty solid soles so they last for years, but you can get some lighter trainer/boot hybrids with more cushioning that wouldn't last for as many years, but would be more comfortable for doing lots of miles in one go. I got some gel insoles from Cotswold Outdoor which make my boots more comfortable. If you need hiking boots, go to somewhere good like Cotswold to buy them and get proper hiking socks from a similar place.

Trainers you don't necessarily need a whole size up but you do need plenty of room for your toes to avoid losing nails etc. If you are doing that much training you might want to find a trainer you like and ones you've got enough miles use in them to be confident in them, go and buy a second pair as the first one should be pretty worn by the day of the event. Although don't switch on the day itself - wear newer pair in a it beforehand. Although having said that, I had done all of my training for the Moonwalk in a pair of running trainers but the day dawned wet and cold and so I switched to a pretty new pair salomon trainers which were relatively new and had goretex in and merino socks in the hope of keeping my feet dry, and got away with it. Depending on the path you are doing you might get away with something like this for the south downs way - I've done the bit over seven sisters a number of times in hiking boots, but the path doesn't really require the ankle support and trainers are more cushioned and so much lighter.

I used some compeed stick on my feet before the Moonwalk, would recommend giving that a try. Also took some compeed plasters in my bag just in case - they are significantly better than a regular one and if used right can protect a blister for ages.

If you do sign up for a walk they should send you plenty of advice on the right footwear for the terrain. The Moonwalk team sent us a training plan (which I was a bit lazy and didn't follow in full but did a fair bit of) and plenty of advice on footwear.

Good luck.

24 hours is a good pace. We got blisters. They weren't that bad. I think having toughened the feet with lots of walking in the boots I wore before helped. I've also heard that vinegar baths can help to toughen the skin but didn't try that myself.

When a blister was acquired I used compeed which is ace.

24hours on the flat is feasible without killing yourself.

You'll need good support crews with a variety of foods and excitement to keep your spirits up. and folding chairs and tables...makes all the difference to be able to have a 10 min sit down. We also all used poles from about 20km in why was v helpful but don't know how feasible on the Thames path. Practice with them beforehand though.