Forum Sponsors

All Round Renovation

http://www.ellyallen.com/

Your Local Personal Trainer

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5455565758596061626364Next
Current Page: 63 of 64
messageRe: Idle cricket musing
Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 17 October, 2015 14:39

I think light is going to be our downfall.

Posted by Alan Medic 17 October, 2015 14:41

Oh I see. It might be decided by how dark it is after 5 days of play. That's cricket!

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 17 October, 2015 14:48

Well that's a bummer. First spark of excitement is snuffed out by the bloody sun.

Posted by 17 October, 2015 16:42

..plus first class time wasting smiling smiley. England unlucky. 4 days of tedium then fantastic last day smiling smiley

Posted by Alan Medic 17 October, 2015 16:48

Isn't it a bit like Mammy saying, 'come in now, your tea is ready'?

Posted by 03 January, 2016 11:04

Caught the last hour of the morning session on the radio....absolutely astounding session. stokes hit the most runs in a morning session in a test match ever, absolutely amazing stuff.

Posted by Alan Medic 03 January, 2016 13:53

Where's Brendan?

Posted by Atticus 04 January, 2016 08:27

Big day for the bowlers, need Amla early!

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 16 January, 2016 14:48

35 to go for a stunning victory.

Posted by 30 March, 2016 17:32

England smash New Zealand and make the T20 final...

Posted by Loz 30 March, 2016 18:28

That surprised me. I thought the Kiwis were going to win the lot. Stokes and Jordan's bowling in the last 4 was a major factor.

Mind you, Stokes must have thought his luck was in when he got two in two balls, both with dreadful full tosses.

Posted by Dog duck 31 March, 2016 21:18

I can see England winning this thing...albeit playing average... or possibly being walloped

Posted by Loz 03 April, 2016 18:15

Holy crap. 19 to get and Samuels stranded at the non-strikers end. Braithwait just closed his eyes and swung.

U19, womens and mens trophies. Maybe, just maybe, there is hope for a Windies resurgence at test level.

Posted by maxxi 03 April, 2016 18:47

Doubt it the way the WI cricket authorities go about things - more likely this was a hugely successful audition for the IPL.

Posted by Loz 03 April, 2016 18:54

Agreed, the WICB is holding the Windies back, but I live in hope.

Posted by malumbu 03 April, 2016 22:12

22 years ago I was at the Oval when over 700 runs were scored in the Natwest Semi Final

Surrey required 20 off the last four balls.

Watch what happened from 12 mins 30 seconds onwards.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by Loz 12 April, 2016 14:43

Terrible news today that James Taylor has been forced to retire with a heart condition. Currently, he's probably England's most technically gifted batsman. Very sad.

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 20 May, 2016 16:05

Just announced on TMS that James Taylor is commentating on 20:20 match this evening. Such a lovely, positive chap - quite humbling. Carpe Diem!

Posted by Emski 20 May, 2016 20:22

They interviewed him at tea on TMS. He was indeed lovely. And claimed to be stronger per lb than any other sportsman except perhaps Floyd Mayweather!

Posted by Alan Medic 24 September, 2016 06:22

Bit of a contrived ending to the county championship. Just not cricket, is it?

Posted by rendelharris 24 September, 2016 06:34

Alan Medic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bit of a contrived ending to the county
> championship. Just not cricket, is it?

Somerset fan Alan? It was a bit of a fit up but that's been going on for as long as I've been watching (since about the time W.G. was in his pomp). For a neutral it was a very good watch, just regret I didn't follow my instinct and nip up to Lord's for 5!

Posted by Alan Medic 24 September, 2016 06:42

Nah. Not even a cricket fan especially though most sports grab my attention sometimes. I just wonder why it's accepted and not considered bad sportsmanship. I'd also like to know how they agreed on the maths.

Posted by rendelharris 24 September, 2016 07:04

It's more considered good sportsmanship, to give the fans something to watch and take a chance on winning rather than the safe option (though in this case playing out the draw wasn't an option for either side). The targets are a matter of negotiation between the captains - having been in on some of those conferences at a far lower (Surrey league) level, I can tell you the convolutions of them would make Machiavelli nod in approval!

Posted by Alan Medic 24 September, 2016 07:14

This doesn't happen at test match level does it? I understood if you wanted to be in with a chance of winning a game you declared when you considered you possibly had enough runs on the board and you gave yourself a chance of bowling out the opposition in the time left. Should it not have been up to the team batting first yesterday to decide that?

Posted by rendelharris 24 September, 2016 10:23

Alan Medic Wrote:
> This doesn't happen at test match level does it? I
> understood if you wanted to be in with a chance of
> winning a game you declared when you considered
> you possibly had enough runs on the board and you
> gave yourself a chance of bowling out the
> opposition in the time left. Should it not have
> been up to the team batting first yesterday to
> decide that?

Yes, but it was an unusual position yesterday where both sides absolutely had to win - for Middlesex to gain the sort of lead they got against Yorkshire's best bowling they would have had to take too many risks, so...it doesn't happen at test match level as they have five days in which to get a result and also they're not playing for points. I know it seems a bit contrived but it was a choice between that and a boring draw - it is an accepted part of the game, even Somerset aren't complaining! I'm trying to think of an analogy - I suppose it's a bit like an extended version of a penalty shootout!

Posted by Loz 24 September, 2016 13:21

Alan Medic Wrote:
> This doesn't happen at test match level does it?

Well, it did once... and I think we all remember the (later discovered) motives and repercussions.

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 12 November, 2016 09:03

Brendan must be having a merry breakfast this morning. (Aus bowled out for 85)

Posted by ladida 27 January, 2017 16:36

Nice to see this chap Mills get a T20 wicket against India. Bowling at 93mph, its a shame he's got a dodgy back and can't last a 1 dayer let alone a test. Hope he doesn't do any serious injury in the future, don't want him to befall the same woes as the great Simon Jones.

Posted by maxxi 08 June, 2017 18:22

Had the luxury of being able to listen to whole game today on TMS - India seemingly setting the kind of target Sri Lanka couldn't hope to get near - but they've just smashed it with some great batting, winning by 7 wickets with 9 balls in hand - after Pakistan's fine win yesterday this is turning into a very open championship.

Shame the tv highlights are so poorly done - never thought I'd wish Ch5 were covering the cricket instead of the BBC.

Posted by 08 June, 2017 20:27

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5455565758596061626364Next
Current Page: 63 of 64

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum