Unison? I need help

Cazz

I have been a member of Unison for over 10 Years.

I was asked to attend a disciplinary hearing which is due to take place on 10th January at 15.30. This notice was served to me on 19th December.

I have now telephoned the central office 14 times starting on 19th December and the Regional Office 3 times.

I am still waiting for anyone to telephone me regarding the hearing to even hear my case and if anyone is available to represent me.

I appreciate this has occurred over the Christmas/New Year period but I am now very fed up.

Can anyone suggest a course of action as I appear to be going round in circles.

Thank you

Cazz

In my experience Unison are useless at actually supporting their members. When recruiting members they make great claims about offering you a service from Thompsons solicitors should you ever need it, but just try getting past Unison to be referred to the solicitors. Or indeed even getting them to answer the phone.

Don't be panicked by a bullying employer though, there are good employment lawyers who will give you initial advice either free or for eg. ?100. The other thing to do is check your household insurance - you might have legal insurance as part of that and can therefore get all the costs of a good employment lawyer covered. Alternatively, if you work for a bad employer that habitually bullies/sacks people, try to find out if any colleagues have taken them to Employment Tribunal and got a settlement or an award - a lawyer that represented one of your colleagues might be prepared to represent you no-win no-fee if the employer already has "form". Most employers will settle before the final hearing at ET.