Ideas for quiet/low-key activities for an energetic boy having 2 weeks off school

My son has to have 2 weeks off school soon to recover from an operation. It's an ear operation so he'll have to avoid anything noisy, so no cinema, plus obviously swimming (and any contact sport) is out for a few months. He's very very energetic so I am dreading this period of enforced quiet time. Any ideas on how we'll entertain him welcome. We both work so are dividing up the time off - I'm guessing my hsuband may use the time to teach him a bit about the rules of cricket and or/football using television as a guide... ;) But so far my other ideas extend to:

- introduce him to Minecraft - maybe buy the app as a present for after he has the op

- Work out a plan of crafting type activities over the course of the 2 weeks (he really likes drawing & painting, making stuff etc)

- lego (loves building stuff)

- some new books (liking the Secret Seven books, thanks McDonalds...)

Any other ideas, preferably cheap/free ones?? I'm conscious he's going to get really frustrated but we have to be careful as any sudden movements (even sneezing, argh - has hayfever!) have to be avoided while the ear is fragile.

thanks!

Poor wee man!

Making a den is a good one - we did this a lot over half term using the dining room table and sheets. They then enjoyed doing everything in there - eating, reading, Lego, iPads etc.

For craft ideas take a look at the Baker Ross website, if you don't already know about it. Some really cool stuff there.

The Lego encyclopaedias are great, for something to read which will hold his interest. Star Wars (he may already have it?), as well as the general character ones, Ninjago etc. C will sit for ages studying them, more time than he spends reading other books.

Some good board games

Cd's (stories) from the library

I think in this situation I would load game apps on iPad as he will be so limited in what he can do, and iPad will keep him occupied and still

(

Would some science kits or some of those sets from science museum work? (I am sure you could pull some experiments off the net)

Poor thing! We had something similar when oldest was 4. Great suggestions about Lego etc. we also did lots of baking - cakes and meals. Gardening worked for us as well as cleaning windows - lots of water = fun. Wishing him a quick recovery b

Ooh brilliant ideas all! Thanks - there's whole new worlds of internet stuff here I can browse :)

Sadly just remembered that water play will be out - even bathing with his little brother for a while as can't risk any splashing.

How about making a massive marble run round the house and down the stairs using cut-up cardboard tubes and cereal packets, bits of recycling and old junk etc?

Can he go out to museums? The Science Museum can be a bit noisy but lots of interesting things to entertain a five-year-old boy. Also Horniman, Transport Museum etc. Good luck...

I'm going to check with the surgeon what the limitations are in terms of going out and about - you're right Redjam, museums could be good esp as it'll be a rare chance to go on a school day. I def need to explore iPad apps too, he tends to just play angry birds on ours.

Another great massive day trip is going on the boat all the way to Hampton Court and back. When your there - there is also lunch in the grounds and a look around all the armour etc if he's into that stuff. The boat trip is also around an hour each way - and there is lots to look at whilst sitting down (inside obvs for him). Good luck! I've had a boy who has had lots of hospital recovery - and it seems daunting right now - but seriously the time will fly... :)

How about book making? The easiest way is to fold a long strip of paper like a concertina then write/draw on each section. Or fold a4 paper in half and staple or sew in the middle. You could print photos of Lego men on various scenes stick them in the book and write a sentence underneath each one. Or create something similar explaining the operation. He could take it in and show it to his class once he's back at school.

Open several umbrellas and turn them upside down. Throw soft play type balls at them, 1 point for a ball in the closest, 2 for the next one etc.

Baking/ cooking is great. He could also write/draw a menu for you/T? Placemats? Mine love doing really messy cooking like pizza dough, fish cakes or chicken nuggets. It takes ages and them there's the clearing up! x