Refusing Food -Help!

My 8 month old has over the last week or so just comlpetely refused to eat almost anything that I cook. He will take the really runny ellas kitchen stage one stuff at a push,and ive been offering him finger food but apart from licking the odd bit of cucumber nothing.

He previously had such a good appetite and Im starting to really worry, surely he must be hungry as Im not sure the decrease in food has corresponded with an increase in milk drinking. I feed him myself morning and night and offer him 3 bottles during the day as not sure how much he gets from me, he never takes more than 400-450mls. There is alot of dribble, teeth sucking and chewing going on so am wondering if this is a teething thing and will pass. Im more worried because im going on holiday on monday to france and am panicking about what to do for the week.

Im really hoping this is just a teething thing as he had been doing so well with food.

Any experience out there of similar??

It does sound like teething - we're going through similar with our nearly 14 month old who is currently getting two teeth (number 5 and 6). She's usually a good eater with a healthy appetite, but for the last few days she's been refusing pretty much everything apart from yoghurt and milk. It's easier this time round as we can actually see the teeth and because she's older it's a bit more obvious to see what's bothering her.

Keep offering milk, breastfeeding will help him with the pain a bit, so might be worth giving him a small feed then trying him with some solids?

Hopefully all the stress will be rewarded with some new teeth in the not too distant future! Keep offering him food - you may find the change of scene while you're on holiday takes his mind off it (and you'll come back with an 8 month old who loves cheese, ham and croissants!).

Have a great holiday.

P x

My sympathies Carrieon23, it's worrying isn't it! My 7 month old is going through exactly the same thing and for the last 4 nights or so has not slept very well at all due to being hungry in the night.

I think as long as you keep offering milk, he will take what he needs and the situation will improve shortly (hopefully before you go to France). The frustrating thing is not knowing when!! Our baby suddenly decided she was ready to eat normally again today, and tonight she went to sleep soundly and has only woken up once so far (which is entirely different to the last few nights already).

One trick my husband tried was to give her a toy and as she opened her mouth to eat the toy he quickly nipped the spoon full of food in. She didn't look so impressed but she swallowed it nonetheless and after that meal she has eaten well of her own accord. I'm not sure I entirely condone this kind of cunning feeding practice but it did seem to do the trick for us.

Best of luck!