Advice needed please - what type of baby bath support?

Ko

Hi there

I have got a plastic baby bath which I intend to use on top of a table.

Could anyone recommend please what type of baby support I could use in it so that I can have both hands free to bathe baby? Is one of those fabric chairs best? There's so many things out there and its a bit confusing to know what to get!

Any advice much appreciated. Many thanks in advance x

I would get one of the moulded plastic ones. I had one of the sling ones the first time round but have used a moulded one this time. I much prefer the plastic one - doesn't add to the washing pile (crucial in my book) it keeps them in place and they can use for longer .

I used a bath and stand system for the first couple of months though so am presuming you can use the moulded one from birth - can't see why not.

Although if you are going to be flying anywhere the sling ones do pack down so you can take with you...

We used one of the hard plastic moulded bath supports with #1 from birth - he was tiny so for the first few weeks he got bathed in the hand basin (without using a support) then we went straight to using the big bath with the support. We found within a couple of months it was almost easier to bath him without a support once we were confident and with #2 never used one.

We used a fabric one in our normal bath and he seemed really safe and secure on that until he was 5 months. It meant we didn't have to use the baby bath at all. The fabric one did need washing but it was a lot softer for him to lie on when he was really little. I never tried a plastic one but thought it might be a bit hard for him. The fabric one is also easy to take with you if you go away.

Thanks for all the replies. Do the moulded ones fit into the smaller baby baths? I have a back injury so will need to use a baby bath on top of a table/stand to avoid pressure on my back. Many thanks once again x

Hello Ko

We have just a piece of foam, moulded in a head and shoulders shape, from Mothercare. Very cheap and simple. It has been very useful throughout, from when our daughter was small enough to lay down on it, to now when she just sits on it. It's nice and non-slippery.

• 3 weeks later...

just a tip for anyone else who finds it useful, if you do decide to get a bath seat from mothercare to fit into your little baby bath, take the bath with you to make sure the seat fits - because you can't return bath seats.

i was about to buy the seat without having checked, and then decided to doublecheck the returns policy. then had to go back again with the baby bath.