Volunteering in ED

Klaus

I've got a bit of free time on my hands at the moment and wouldn't mind putting something back into my local community.

So, does anyone know of any opportunities for part-time volunteering in the neighbourhood?

Thanks in advance.

I was very tempted to nip round the back of dominos, over the little wall, and take a couple of big bin liners and a litter picking stick to that huge pile of junk that is alongside the path up the station.

Unfortunately I only had this blinding bit of inspiration as I returned to work, so I haven't yet had the opportunity to implement it.

It's sort of guerilla community contribution, but bloody hell would you become famous quick - even revered around the neighborhood i suspect!

There is a volunteer centre in Southwark which has a huge database of volunteering opportunities in Southwark - they'll have a chat with you, and help find you a number of charities in the local area that need volunteers. I think if you go to http://www.volunteercentre.org.uk that should get you there. Or type in Volunteer Centre Southwark in your search engine.

In terms of local organisations, I know that the Wildlife Garden Centre on Marsden Road always need volunteer gardeners.

Most charities are desparate to recruit volunteers to their trustee boards - particularly treasurers - so if there is a cause or local charity you particularly would like to support, I'm sure they would welcome you with open arms if you'd like to be a trustee.

Oh yes, Beth, can I second that comment about trustees?

Good trustees are like gold dust...and treasurers, well, can't be found for love not money. Also legal counsel for the board of trustees. Usually it's not a major time commitment.

Can I also say you do get a lot of satisfaction from helping a charity or voluntary organisation to manage itself, develop and so on. And it's also a great learning experience.

Louisiana

Just a thought - I'm a trustee for a local charity (working to help the elderly) and we were looking for a qualified accountant to take over the treasurer position. If that's of interest to anyone, I can get information for you.

Schools are also often looking for governors.