Dunstans Road resurfacing

Hi Whoosh & bil,

Completely understand your point and the one previously made about some passengers finding speed humps and cushions excrutiating.

But before these measures people drove at excessive speed and crashes were much higher.

In East Dulwich we're gonig to try a 20mp speed limit area without such measures. But such schemes apparently only work where the mean average speed is around 24mph.

So for roads that were previously greater than 24mph average speed what would you suggest instead of humps and bumps?

What a shame that your expectations weren't met.

Archive: Sinusiodal humps

September 2nd, 2009 by James Barber

However, one type of hump doesn?t seem to have this problem - sinusoidal humps. They?re curved like a wave. Not quite as effective at traffic calming as regular ?round topped? humps but boy are they more comfortable for vehicle occupants and safer for cyclists.

With the executive councillor Paul Kyriacou agreement it is now Southwark Council policy that all new humps will be sinusoidal. I also expect when old humps get replaced during maintenance that they?ll be replaced with sinusoidal humps.

Hi intexasthe moment,

Sinusoidal humps are much better than cushions and angular humps. But they're still not flat roads for those that suffer from any jolting.

Several people have highlighted they don't like any humps and bumps but for roads where the mean average is great than 24mph I can't see how we avoid them.

What do you think?

Even if there were any I doubt they would be sinusoidal any more. Most of the speed bumps and humps fall apart at their leading edges. If they were build properly then even what we now consider harsh jolts would be much, much better.

It really annoys me that we pay for 'improvements' that are lashed in half-arsed and fall apart.

ruffers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They're not supposed to be smooth and comfy though

> to be fair, they're supposed to make people slow

> down!

Precisely. I think people forget that there's a speed 'limit' and not a speed 'target'.

I think the nearest sinusoidal humps are on Camberwell Grove. From the south, 1 angular humps then 3 sinusoidal humps then angular humps then the funny single lane bridge thing.

Try them some time. On a bicycle you REALLY can tell the difference. In a car you can quite tell the difference.

Sinusoidal humps are very good. You can go over them at 15-20 mph pretty easily (and I have a can with a fairly hard suspension). I suspect that if you try anything faster they'd have a nasty kick.

Alleyn Park (a road near Dulwich College / West Dulwich station) has some brand new ones if you want to try them out.

What a cynical bunch!

A whole host of reasons why 'knocking off' might be appropriate.

Perhaps the day went really well and they reached the limits of homes that had been warned?

Perhaps some material deliveries were delayed?

Perhaps some machinery went faulty?

Perhaps another job needed extra help?

Perhaps they had an accident?

This type of work must be phyiscally hard. I was once seconded to help manage teams of knavies for a week. Amazing insight into London. It is really hard physical work.

Southwark doesn't pay for these teams by the hour. They pay by results.

Nothing Freudian just terrible spelling and a word I've rarely if ever type before.

Thanks for teaching me something clearly.

Perhaps it was freudian slip. I remember one gang. told to follow the road line. They interpreted this as follow a straight line, incentivised by being paid by the metre. I don't remember the details other than it taking some time to correct and sort out. Not much navigating went on with that particualr gang.

Anyway, thanks for correcting me.

James,

James

Indeed paving slabs are an more attractive option and environmenatally more appropriate. The only downside (which is actually a matter of management) is when service contractors do works in the pavement and rather than reinstate the original paving they replace with tarmac.

This could be avoid if, when letting highways contracts, a clause is included to ensure that reinstatement of pavements is 'like-for-like'. It would certainly help prevent pavements ending up as patchwork quilt, and in the event a contractor didn't comply there would be a contractual mechanism to ensure remedial work.

Regards

Tim

I don't know if the water leak on Dunstans Road (with lots of water collecting at junction of Dunstans/Forest Hill Road/Colyton Road) is connected to the resurfacing but Thames Water are coming out to investigate this tomorrow (I think they have received several reports from residents).

So early warning of more potential works (joy!) but also to say it would be a shame if a road just resurfaced was dug-up and the good work undone. I'm happy to chase the council (to chase Thames Water) if anyone lets me know if repair work has left a brand new road looking patchy.

Victoria.

Peckham Rye Labour