OS mapping data - have your say

louisiana

There's currently a consultation on the future of certain OS mapping data:

"..on the Government's proposal to open up Ordnance Survey's data relating to electoral and local authority boundaries, postcode areas and mid scale mapping information."

Important stuff. No really. This could help many, many small not-for-profit projects working to provide info at the local level. And councils.

Please take a look if you can, and respond if you wish. Closing date is 17 March.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/corporate/ordnancesurveyconsultation

OpenStreetMap is lovely.

The idea with OS Free would be that anyone would then be free to mash up the OS Free data (including national address and co-ordinate data) with their own data without let or hindrance. At present, as you are no doubt aware, if you try to combine *any* OS data with your data, OS will insist the resulting product belongs to them IP-wise, even though it also contains your (open/free) IP, and even after you've paid their licensing.

The idea is that the public should benefit from what the public has already paid for.

tomchance Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Quite. I got my response in a couple of weeks

> back, it will be interesting to see how the

> elections affect this consultation and other

> recent moves by the Government to open things up a

> bit.

Possibly the only worthwhile initiative that we know to have come from Brown?

However, with Tom Steinberg advising the Tories, and pressure from other quarters, I don't see the issue falling away. It is an idea whose time has come, regardless of who is in power.

• 3 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• The end of a decade and a half of gaslighting, they must be exhausted. Oh boy, are we going to hear some coercive BS in the next 6 weeks. For some reason they don’t seem to be boasting about how well we are doing in education, crime and policing, fishing, agriculture, health, prisons, trade, trade agreements, immigration, transportation, utilities (including water), amongst other things. They seem to be focussing on exporting individual ‘illegal’ immigrants to Africa for more than it costs to take a journey into space. And rainbow-coloured lanyards for use within the civil service. I wonder why?🤔    
    • If you have a campervan (windows all round, seats in) they’re treated just like cars - come unannounced as often as you need. So I think it’s a way to avoid commercial interests’ abuse of the service. Imagine if you provided a local clearance service, you could empty peoples gardens and houses and take it straight to the dump and have nothing to pay. 
    • Gutted to miss out on the title in the end and fall down to fourth at the last! Thanks for running it - took me a while to get to grips with the format but came on strong in final few months. Look forward to next season!   JamesM
    • If you can access Facebook, there are many groups on there for different things. it may be helpful searching for groups on there. i joined a few groups on there myself which helped me with my health issues. it was these groups that made me realise I wasn’t the only one suffering with side effects & some women were worse off than me. hope that helps
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In