Home Birth Group?

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in starting a home birth tea group, for pregnant ladies and people already with their babies? I am due at the start of May, and would love to meet other people who are planning home births, and people who have already experienced home births. I thought it would be fun to get a tea group going, if other people thought it would be nice? I haven't been able to find a regular home birth support group that meets in our area?

If anyone is interested, just let me know and we can put in a location and time to get started!

Best, Sophie

Not sure if I'd be able to meet up multiple times (we're moving soon and things will get busy...) but I'd definitely love to join a big first meet-up where we all exchange our plans/thoughts/experiences. I had one home birth in 2008 and am hoping for another one in June.

Great idea Sophie

I had my first at home (through the Kings community team) and found it great. I'm now expecting my second in September and have booked with Brierley (thanks to Molly providing me their number :) )

Thursday afternoon next week works for me - see you then. Depending on numbers, perhaps you should call ahead to the cafe and see if they will let you reserve an 'area' by the toys so the kids can play and we can chat 'uninteruppted' (can you tell my LO is 3???!!!)

I've had a baby recently and said no to the HB option. My reasoning was that if something goes wrong in labour, it might need immediate intervention which cannot be provided at home. How did you ladies get over that issue in your own minds? Was I missing something?

Hi Ladies,

I'm afraid I work Thursday's so can't join you :-(

Maybe next time. Good days for me are Wed or Fri, and I do have to be back in Nunhead for a 3.30pm school pick up. I guess Peckham Rye Park is a bit easier for me, but happy to come over to Dulwich Park.

Hope you have a lovely meeting next week.

Anna75 - Good question. I was very positive about birth as my Mum had 6 children and had always talked to me about birth and told me very positive things about it. I felt that being at home in my own 'safe' environment, where I could be totally relaxed, and having 1-1 care from a midwife at home would mean that things were less likely to go wrong, or would probably be spotted quicker if they were. Also, I knew we were only 5-10 mins from Kings which did help. If I lived in the sticks, 2 hours drive from the nearest hospital I guess I may not have gone for a home birth. All of that, combined with the fact that I talked to the homebirth midwives who told me that they very, very rarely 'blue light' a Mother in (I can't recall exactly but for my key midwife I think it was once in 3 years) - most births that end up in hospital do so after a calm discussion of the situation and then make their way in under their own steam and quite calmly after gathering together what they need helped to reassure me that it was right for us. I do understand that it is not for everyone though, having the choice is wonderful though. We are very lucky in this area!

Molly

xx

The Nappy Lady Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Anna75 - Good question. I was very positive about

> birth as my Mum had 6 children and had always

> talked to me about birth and told me very positive

> things about it.

Interesting Molly,

My mum had 5 of which 4 were born at home. The last one was born in a hospital only because it was the height of the troubles in Northern Ireland and the doctors were refusing to come out to home births because of the danger. I picked up her positive attitude towards birth and home births in particular and always expected my childrens' births to be straightforward.

This coupled with midwives confident in home births and a hospital close by meant that I was very happy to chose a home birth.

Ooooh I'm going to try to come along to this too. I'm due at the end of May and booked with Brierley, wouldbe great to meet some local mums-to be. One of my best friends gave birth yesterday and ended up with forceps delivery and a blood transfusion...I'm on need of some positive birth stories at the moment! Hope to see you there x

thanks ladies; it seems there is defnitely s'thing in this concept of confidence/relaxed hormones/s'thing similar leading to good birth experiences. No doubt there are various studies on it out there..good luck to you all whether pre/post birth. Anna xx

I'll probably be out on Thursday but I may be there next time you meet up, have fun!

Anna75 - I fully understand where you're coming from. My home birth was unplanned (it went way too fast to be able to make it to hospital) but it was such a good experience that I'm planning on having the next one at home as well (plus - the labour may be even faster this time and I'm not keen on giving birth in the car!). After one easy and healthy birth you have a lot more confidence about the next one.

Anna75 - as Molly said, occasions that mothers have to be transferred by ambulance in an emergency situation are very rare, and if they do happen I was also told that the call gets very top priority with the emergency services as there are 2 people in distress - the mother and baby. Also, the hospital are aware someone is on their way, so are ready to deal with what is needed as you wheel through the door (for instance, if its an emergency c-section, even if the mother is already in hospital there has to be some set up time for the surgeons - and if you're on your way in, they do that while they are waiting, so no time is lost)

That, together with the fact that the hospital is only 10 minutes up the road max, made my decision to go for a home birth much more reassured. But everyone is different. Do what you feel happiest with.

I had a (quite quick) home birth and was extrememly happy with the decision. Regarding hospital transfers - a friend of mine planned a home birth but in the end had to be transferred to the hospital. When I spoke to her about her experience she said that she would still plan a home birth for the second one, even if it was likely that she would need to be transferred again, because her experience up until the transfer was so positive.

-A

Hi

I had a home birth with my daughter 3 years ago through the Kings Community Midwives and am booked with the Brierley for my second due in July (again, thanks to Molly!). Would love to meet up on Thursday - although not sure how long my 3 year will let me chat for! Will also be nice to meet some first and second time summer-due mums.

Laura