six-seven dirty nappies a day normal? (not a thread for the faint-hearted)

Belle

Sorry to start a thread on such an unpalatable subject...but I just thought it was time I checked if anyone else has a champion dirty nappy-maker like mine. Since he was weaned onto solids at 6 months(now 13 months) he's had 6-7 dirty nappies a day (peaked at 11 when he was just weaning). The fewest he'll do is about 2-3. I've never worried as it's all normal (sorry tmi!) and not the runs or anything, and he does eat loads (but is quite skinny and super energetic, burns it all off I think). have mentioned in passing to the GP who didn't seem worried. Just wondering if anyone else has had a baby like this as am starting to think I should check back with the doctor.

Even if it is all healthy it's exhausting just keeping him clean!

Hi Belle,

that is a lot of dirty nappies, the average is 1-2 dirty nappies a day at that age I would say.

But being different doesn't mean there is a problem as you say. I think I would be tempted to try to speak to another Doctor about it, if only to fond out why he goes more than most - I.e is there a recognised physical reason in some? I think not going is a bigger concern as a rule, and if he is healthy, energetic and average weight for age then generally one would think all is well.

Molly

x

a friend who breastfeeds her baby says he dirtys almost every nappy - a bit in each!! mine tends to be a couple a day (still on milk). yes try another doctor next time you're at the surgery, just to get another opinion. xx

hmm they're never that messy to be honest...just frequent! as i mentioned he is skinny, but normal weight etc and seems well in every other respect. To top off a normal 7 poo day today he seems to have caught the ED baby vomiting bug and puked his breakfast and lunch all over himself and buggy in the middle of Primark in Peckham...interesting trying to clean it up!

You could suspect a milk allergy or something if they were very runny, but if not, not sure what to suggest! How much is the total volume? If larger than you'd expect per day, must be because more solids ae going through than normal. If a daily ration split into small chunks... maybe that's just how he is. Will be awkward when he starts school...though these things often change as they get older

Fo comparison, my twins prob poo the equivalent of a large banana each per day (once on the floor at the bottom of the slide at Goose Green, I still bear the emotional scars!)

hmm - def much more than that. hard to say in terms of what goes in - he's quite a messy eater so I never really know, I just go on his signs for when he's done (ie starts playing with food rather than eating it). Think will def check with the doc. Oh god - have awful fear of being asked to bring stool sample to surgery!!!!!!!!

Belle - my son is 8 months and has 6 dirty nappies a day and i stressed about it as they were mostly big ones so i couldn't quite work what his body was actually absorbing! i've asked lots of people, both professional and mom friends so was put at ease - some babies do just dirty their nappies a lot, others seem to dirty their nappies every other day only. My son was a 10kg by 6 months and definitely has lots of folds so i reckon he's ok - the docs stress more if they're not wetting their nappies it seems.

That's helpful linzkg, thanks. I did see a doctor today who was really pretty useless, sigh. He was a locum and when I explained about the poo situation he said 'well I don't actually work here, in fact I've never been here before today' (not sure how that's relevant?!) and then said if weight gain is fine etc shouldn't worry about it. But if not could be worth seeing a paediatrician.Trouble is because I really don't like the whole baby clinic experience I haven't been in ages and tend to judge his weight gain by my own instincts and occasionally weighing on our scales - seems fine to me, and I don't place too much importance on the whole centile system but it does mean I don't really know what 'curve' he's on. Anyway point of posting is that the locum's final say on the matter was, incredibly: "he clearly just likes a good s**t every now and again".

!!!!!!!! am not at all offended but just a bit gobsmacked!

snowboarder Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just take the last dirty nappy he did with you -

> that's what I did once and it threw the doctor a

> bit but seemed to be ok!

I misread that at first and thought you said you the the dirty nappy at the dr!

Belle - just to add - we see a paediatrician on a regular basis for other reasons and he laughed at us saying 'you should be glad he dirties his nappy so often, can you imagine his size and weight if he decided to store it .. on a serious note all babies are different so don't get caught up in it'

Could be the smoothies and raisins causing it, as Fuscia says. Baby 1 could have matched your daily norm. He had a very slight intollerance to milk but it never really affected his weight and we changed him to soya. Strapping big lad now.