New Parking Restrictions East Dulwich Road

suzyq

This issue was raised with me in January by Sue(suzyq) and this is the post I responded with:

Hi Sue,

The part of East Dulwich Road affected, north side of Goose Green, is in South Camberwell ward and although part of East Dulwich not part of East Dulwich ward. Your South Camberwell Labour and Green Party councillors will have been asked to make the decision several times and a public consultation would have been involved. One of the powers the Lib Dems devolved to local councillors at local Community Councils.

Without wanting to second guess why council and fire officers asked for this change. Many of the houses along this road have been highly sub divided - Houses of Multiple Occupation. Such highly sub dividied properties are much much more likely to result in fires where people die. Sometimes multiple deaths. On this basis ensuring fire engines can gain access seems a sensible, if painful for drivers, precaution. Apparently 5% of UK population live in HMO's but 35% of fire deaths and 40% of fire injuries for people living s in HMO's. Total 600 fire deaths and 18,000 fire injuries a year in the UK.

Your suggestion of allowing fire enginer access across Goose Green is appealing but with two lines of parked cars between Goose Green and the houses would'nt actually mean fire fighters could get ladders and kit quickly into the right place. It would also probably result in more restrictions and fewer public events on Goose Green - which would be a shame.

I'd also guess that the pavement after this change could be returned fully to pedestrians which would make walking along here more pleasant and feasible for those with prams and buggies, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• Thank you to everyone who do drop off food while they were casting their votes, thanks also to those who enquired about volunteering. It doesn't have to be an election day though to do either though, so we would be grateful to receive donations and additional volunteer help any other day of the year too. We have also just added another string to our bow, and are now re-homing unwanted electricals too, so if you have any unwanted small electricals lurking at home that we can re-home, please drop them off to use to. We only ask that they are clean and working.  we will PAT test them and assuming all good, we will find a new home for them. The Community Fridge website has details, along with a wealth of other information Best wishes Steve Albrighton Community Fridge w: albrightoncommunityfridge.org i: albrighton_community_fridge_   
    • Hello, TW installed ours in SE27 in October 2023, unprompted too. We just got a note through the letterbox informing us of the switch to smart meter and its serial number, after it was done. 
    • I've recently moved into East Dulwich. I transferred my Thames Water account to my new address, and I  have received my bill for the year. But now I've received an email from them saying they'll be out on the 8th to fit my new smart meter, which was unrequested by me. I can probably refuse but I wanted to check here if perhaps there was a TW campaign to get these installed in the area? Thank you.
    • I would also recommend Leon. He was responsive and did a thorough job for us replacing some faulty spot lights and coming to the house multiple times around other contractors to fit some new lighting into cabinetry.
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In