Can we discuss slings?

maybe we could combine the buggy try out with a sling try out! I bought a wilkinet sling and we couldn't get on with it...then got a second hand baby bjorn on the forum and it did us for a while until as others have said the weight was just too uncomfortbable. We now have a patapum which we don't use a lot due to the bag issue someone else mentioned, but it's good to have it and not too dear - and may be used more if we have another baby. But I'm glad I never bought one of the newborn slings that have your baby more in a lying position - from day one my son preferred being upright plus had reflux so I know he'd have hated these. i'd love to try one next time around but think would wait to see what the baby in question preferred in term of position.

My daughter was also not interested in lying down as she always liked to have good look around. It would be great to have sling try out as I also think that different slings probably suit certain body types better or worse. Due to my somewhat large boobs my daughters face always looked like it was kind of smothering and all she could see was a breast mountain in the type of slings that I tried which tie on.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, I'm also looking for a sling 2nd time round. Could barely use the bjorn first time round for more than 20 minutes, it was so uncomfortable. I really want to know if there's anything out there for carrying newborn babies on your back, african style. Or is it just not very good for the baby? I do have a few ghanean wraps which you basically have to tuck over your boobs and round the waist, but I guess I didn't have proper tutoring because it really was not secure or comfortable. Any bright ideas?

Hi Moi23,

The Ergo slings are good (and there are cheaper but very similar slings out there), which allow you to carry your baby on your front when tiny, then you can move them onto your back from around 6 months old or so (depends how brave you are about getting them aroud there!). Not all newborns like them though (mine was fine), took her to The Baby Show at Earls Court in it when she was a week old!

They can only be carried facing you on your front, then on your back basically like a piggy back, but leaving your arms free. I find both options very comfortable (baby now 18 months old), and can carry her for some time, where as in something like a Baby Bjorn, well massive back ache from pretty much the minute I put it on.

Molly

Yes, you can get a newborn insert now, but the one I had didn't have it as it is an older version (actually a Beko pre newborn insert style)....to be honest I just gave it a try, not realising at that point that the insert thing even existed, and with her snuggled in tummy to tummy it worked for us. Maybe not recommended, but she was 100% happy in it and it felt very comfortable. Really just like carrying her but without having to use my hands (though I often put one around her as it felt 'natural' if that makes sense.

Thanks Molly. I've just been on the ergo baby website and they do have an infant insert (they are so expensive!). I guess it's just not the done thing to have a newborn slung round your back. I'm definitely considering something like it, but don't have much faith I'll be able to carry tummy to tummy for long periods of time. Worth a go though, anyone looking to sell an ergo baby with infant insert?? The other that seems to keep baby close enough and supported to your body is the hugabug, anyone selling one?

Moi23 I think the link to the insert Fuschia posted would work in a lot of slings and is a lot less expensive, my only worry would be the heat issue if it was a summer baby, would be lovely and snuggly in winter though.

I just don't think you'd get a newborn onto your back to be honest, they are too floppy and I don't think it would be secure, even in cultures where they back carry a lot I think this is only done once the child has neck control etc.

I've always had a dodgy back, couldn't use the Baby Bjorn though my hubby loves it, but I found the Ergo type slings fine, and with a newborn you don't really even notice the weight.

Hope this helps, so difficult isn't it, because you can't try them when preggers.

Molly

Thanks Molly. I'm getting a hugabub today and some friends have promised me an ergo. Hopefully one of them will do! As for heat, we'll see how hot it gets.... going by the last few summers it might be nice to have a little portable heater attached!

For little ones have only used the two Baby bjorns. The one with no back support is incredibly awful, but the one with back support was great, and I carried my oldest in it until 15 months or so.

We do have a sling to put them on your back too which is fab - it's a sort of supported piggy back, but seeing as we bought it in India from a man with a sewing machine that's perhaps not such useful information...

Moi23 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> don't have much faith I'll be able to carry tummy

> to tummy for long periods of time. Worth a go

> though, anyone looking to sell an ergo baby with

> infant insert?? The other that seems to keep baby

> close enough and supported to your body is the

> hugabug

The wrap style slings are supposed to keep the baby very close to the body (and I do have a huggabub) but I could never really manage all the wrapping and tying and it felt like the baby would fall out!!