How would you improve Peckham town centre?

tomchance

I would make sure that deliveries are done - as much as is possible - before rush hour or after it. Right now, illegal parking on the double yellow lines means that buses get snarled up. Control officers seem to be very happy to ticket illegal parkers in other parts of Peckham and in SE22, but not on the main road (ie near the station). Making the entrance to the station bigger would be great too.

Thanks Tom for taking such good note of what has been emerging from the years of work of Peckham Vision, The Peckham Society and Rye Lane & Station Action Group and following from that the newly emerging Peckham Town Centre Forum, and also of contributing in those forums your own ideas. It is very helpful to have them all in one place in your list. We definitely need the Council to rethink how it is going to organise itself to get a more focused act together on commercial regeneration and the public realm. If anyone is in contact with any candidates in the local ward elections please ask them to support that aim at least if they are elected, whatever party they belong to, and all parties. This is not a party political issue. It is sensible commercial and community management. For background info and ideas please visit these webpages (they are different pages so click on each one):

Holdron?s demolition: http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Main_Page

Rye Lane central: http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Visions_for_Peckham#An_alternative_vision_for_Rye_Lane_Central and http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Transforming_Central_Rye_Lane

Peckham Rye station: http://www.peckhamvision.org/wiki/Peckham_Rye_Station

We will have some more chance to influence this in the renewed consultations on the Peckham & Nunhead Area Action Plan (PNAAP) which starts again in the summer/autumn. But that is long term planning policy and can?t take the place of action needed this year to get a better grip on town centre operations.

to Admin or anyone - would it be possible to put a link in to this thread in the General Discussion and The Drawing Room discussion? I think people who would be interested in this one might not visit the Lounge expecting to see it here. I didn?t until it was drawn to my attention.

We included limited hours for deliveries to ease congestion and taking all cars, vans etc. except for access off Rye Lane as proposals. I'm not sure how a one-way system would work, especially for people trying to catch a bus as the potential gyratory is a bit of a walk away.

Living Streets did a really long report with a lot of mentions of widening pavements, but again as a cyclist and bus user as well as a pedestrian I'm not too sure how you balance that for bits of Rye Lane that are already pretty narrow :-S

I also wonder about illegal parking. Sometimes I wish I could take photos with number plates and report people, it really gets on my nerves how people blatantly flout the law by parking up for long periods on double yellow lines. Almost as bad as when fellow cyclists fly through red lights endangering others when some of us are patiently waiting for them to change. Every monrning...

If we had a Del Boy statue we'd probably need a Desmonds one too ;)

''I also wonder about illegal parking. Sometimes I wish I could take photos with number plates and report people, it really gets on my nerves how people blatantly flout the law by parking up for long periods on double yellow lines.''

The only way to stamp it out is to have wardens ticketing the illegal parkers, as well as 'educating' the shop owners about why they are getting ticketed. I'd speak to the local councillor about it and bring in the local police and ask them to intervene. It's pretty common that buses get jammed along that road, making the journey much longer and unpleasant.

Your right Nero. That's the only way to stop parking crime. Education...Education...Education.

I really do think we need to get at the offenders when they are young. They probably have no role models because they're all from single parent families. And I also think television brainwashes young kids into thinking it's ok to illegally park. When would you ever see Noddy getting a parking ticket? He just parks anywhere he bloody well pleases. What type of example is that to set our kids?

Peckham Rye is fun during the day and as someone managing on little at the mo I appreciate the cheapness of the shops and the variety. I think the two issues the street needs to deal with are:

street cleaning, especially in the summer. It needs street and pavement cleaners daily when it is warm to scrub the streets after fish and meat sellers wash out their stores. It feels/smells awful when it is hot. I think meat and fish shops should also be encouraged to be closed fronted. It would improve my confidence in them even if regulations don't require it.

I used to live close to Rye Lane before I moved into ED and come home at night from the station. I always felt safe when I got into the side streets but that street scares me at night. There is no one there and with the shutters down it feels like you are in a gorge with no escape. Though it doesn't need late night drinking problems it needs a night life so that there is more traffic at night, more people around and more places open to go into if there is trouble.

Some control on the signs so it feels less chaotic and garish, and trees on the street would also help the appearance. I'd say pedestrianise more of it as well if possible though it is useful having buses come close to the station.

The opening of the square in front of the station is a great plan. It is such a wasted building and coming through those alleys and tunnels at night nerve wracking.