Primary school place allocation chaos has started!

emc - Really happy that you got in and haven't had to endure last years stress. :)-D

I really don't understand how they can say they don't have the space one year but the next hey presto! the can fit in another 15. It contradicts their reasons for turning down appeals last year based on class size.

goosemum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Probably not a popular thing to say, but it might

> be useful to rethink the definition of the term

> 'local'. We walk from Nunhead to Goose Green - it

> takes 20 mins and is a lovely walk past Peckham

> Rye and then Goose Green Common.

Must be about a mile then? I think those who have been offered a school more than 2 miles away (40 mins walk for an adult?) don't see that as local.

batgirl Wrote:

> emc - Really happy that you got in and haven't had

> to endure last years stress. :)-D

>

> I really don't understand how they can say they

> don't have the space one year but the next hey

> presto! the can fit in another 15. It contradicts

> their reasons for turning down appeals last year

> based on class size.

I thought this was a planned increase I saw in the southwark info... i am guessing they will have two small classes or some sort of mixed age thing going on? The limit on 30 in an infant class is a statutory limit

Sorry for sounding a bit naive; what southwark info? do you mean the book they give out about admissions?

They did have the mixed aged thing going on anyway last year. I have to be honest and say alot of this stuff confuses me:-$

Ladies,

I have been reading this thread with interest as I live behind The Gardens and I think am Peckham Rye ward so in effect in a bit of a black hole too.. I am confused and looking for a bit of clarity really as will be applying for next year..

If you are in this black hole around Forest Hill Road/ Peckham Rye and not in the East Dulwich ward despite the SE22 postcode does that mean that you cannot realistically apply for the ED schools... my nearest is St Johns (450m) which I know is unrealistic as it will be a non faith place and Goose Green or does it only go on distance regardless of which ward you live in...

I do anticipate that i will be one of the frustrated ones next year and so am following your stories (and last years) with interest...

It is such a ridiculous situation..

Craigy wrrote

> If you are in this black hole around Forest Hill

> Road/ Peckham Rye and not in the East Dulwich ward

> despite the SE22 postcode does that mean that you

> cannot realistically apply for the ED schools...

The places shortage became an issue last year as GG's special measures status combined with the baby boom pushed Heber/ Goodrich capacity over the edge. Parents put up a strong campaign and got a last min bulge class at Goodrich last year this helped those by Dunstans/ Forest Hill Road but some over towards the gardens got a raw deal. A sustained campaign this year further highlighted the issue and Labour called a srutiny meeting to examin the issue as the southwark Lib Dems felt the shortage was a one off. The scrutiny concluded there was a real shortage and predicted this woulds increase over the next few years before subsiding.

12 million pounds was given to southwark to create more places. Roughly.. 5 million has gone on a perminant extra 15 placed by Denmark Hill, some on last years Goodrich bulge, some on Hebers bulge this year and i imagine some went on the 15 extra places at St Antonys. These measures have allowed many families increased choice in school places but do not appear to have relieved the shortage around the Rye. Schools in the areas most in need have been bulged already leaving few options for next year and beyond.

The good news is that this area has a lot of excellent schools, and a strong voice. We as a community need to ensure plans next year are much more effective and schools with bulge classes are supported long term, my advice is to get campaigning now.

craigy Wrote:

>>

> If you are in this black hole around Forest Hill

> Road/ Peckham Rye and not in the East Dulwich ward

> despite the SE22 postcode does that mean that you

> cannot realistically apply for the ED schools...

> my nearest is St Johns (450m) which I know is

> unrealistic as it will be a non faith place and

> Goose Green or does it only go on distance

> regardless of which ward you live in...

The ward you are in is not relevant.

But most places go firstly to siblings and then children for whom it is their NEAREST COMMUNITY SCHOOL, only after that is a straight distance criteria applied. So you may be closer to Heber, say, than a friend of yours, but they may get in while you do not, if you have another school closer to you.

Thanks Toast and Fushia.... I have no intention of putting Heber or Goodrich near the top of my list as I am realistic about distances are they are our 4th and 5th closest... was just a little concerned by this talk of the different wards..

Next I just need to work out wheat happens when you nearest school is faith and you are none faith and is southwark single entry in sept from 2011???

BTW- off the topis, I read your news on another thread Fushia- Congratulations!!

I don't know if it's moving to single point of entry. I asked the office staff at Heber but they didn't know.

The admissions criteria is re closest COMMUNITY school. I think the faith schools are not considered such. They will be Foundation schools.

And thanks re congrats.

PSA Once you have identified your closest school you can work out your distance as the crow flies and find out how children at a similar distance fared this year. (under the closest CS croteria which is the one you stand most chance with)

If there is one intake, at what age do they go? In the current system, my son would have, I think, have started the January before he was 5 (April birthday). Does that mean he will now start in the September instead, when he will be 5?

Edited to apologise for being slightly off topic

Craigy, you're right.

This was part of the Rose review of primary education, and though not statutory I think most LAs are complying with it (single point of entry)

It will be the Summer born children who previously started school in january who will be affected. NB if you don't wish your child to start before they are 5 (statutory school age is from the beginning of the term AFTEr5th birthday) you can defer and the school needs to hold the place open!

Thats really interesting Fuschia. My daughter is a 30th August baby, and I have been worried about her going to a single point of entry school where she would start a couple of days after her 4th birthday (sooooo little).

I assume this means I could put her through the normal application process, accept a place, then delay her start by a year until a couple of days after she is 5?

My son is going to a school in Lewisham, but by the sounds of it I'm assuming that they will comply with the single September entry next year.

I would really love him to start in September and NOT January this year, but when I asked, was told 'no'. All his friends will be starting in September and he's bored at nursery already. AND number 2 is due at the end of September, so an earlier start would be perfect for us.

Anyone know if it is possible to appeal to get him in earlier, or if its a funding issue? The school he's going to will have all 3 classes starting in September, so I can't see that it will make that much difference to have one more in the class.

is worth asking - I don't think this is a fixed thing. I understand that, for example, Dulwich Village Infants take some March children (who would usually be January starters) in September IF there are spaces - it depends on how many children are born September to end of Feb, and places are then allocated birth date by birth date, so a March born child might get a September place and a June born one is highly unlikely to get the place. Hope that makes sense. Other schools are v rigid. If your child is March born I'd def try to speak to the head about it.

Thanks for all the info Fuschia, any idea if i could put off sending my January born son to school until Christmas? Really dont want him to start somewhere and have to move him a few weeks into term if a more local place came up, his head would be spinning!

toast Wrote:

> Thanks for all the info Fuschia, any idea if i

> could put off sending my January born son to

> school until Christmas? Really dont want him to

> start somewhere and have to move him a few weeks

> into term if a more local place came up, his head

> would be spinning!

Pretty sure you can, as he won't be of statutory school age until the Easter (after he's 5)

.. you are talking about Jan 2011? Atm many schools have two intakes, but it's still the case that a child doesn't actually need to start until they are of statutory school age.

Good luck everyone - it is a stressful time, that's for sure! One of my friends did send her child to a school they were allocated and then moved him half-way through the year to GG - he settled in very well, no problems. I think at that age Toast they are fairly adaptable - one of the things that helped him was that he already knew a couple of other children in reception so maybe if you develop some weekend friendships with children going to the local school you want for him, then when/if you are offered a place, it won't be that stressful as he'll know other children there already.

Anyway, I was in the ice-cream shop on Melbourne Grove today with my son (a great after school treat!) and I ran into a couple of parents of children going into reception, they are both sending their Goose Green and we had a great old natter - they are looking forward to getting involved with the PTA. One of the things they are doing is meeting up with other parents of reception age kids going to GG over the summer - so the kids will enter reception knowing each other. That's what I did with some other parents and it's really nice as they have a group of friends already. Once you know what school you'll be sending you children to, I do think it's a really good thing to do.