New phonics videos to help toddlers start to read and identify letters

Good morning Families of East Dulwich,

I am a designer based in East Dulwich (Crystal Palace Rd) and have just finished the first episode in a new series of phonics videos targeted at toddlers and young children.

Letter a /ah/:

Letter b /buh/:

Letter p /puh/:

This came about because the phonics videos I saw on Youtube did not seem to be designed for toddlers. They were too fast and crammed too much information (like the entire alphabet) in 2 minutes.

My toddler (2 1/2) has been involved in the design of this first video (and talks in it!) The pace and structure has been very effective for her - she now recognises the letter "a" in books and knows the sound.

Would love to hear any feedback from families.

The next episode is in currently in development so you are welcome to subscribe to the channel for updates.

Karim

Hi

I had a look at your video and it's simple and colourful so would be attractive to toddlers. However as a qualified teacher I would say that learning grapheme-phoneme correspondence at this age is not appropriate. Very young children need lots of experience of exploring and playing with sounds, such as with nursery songs, sound discrimination, rhyme and alliteration. Your video jumps a very important step in the phonics program and is perhaps why you cannot find videos for toddlers on YouTube like this. Have a look at Phase 1 of the government's Letter and Sounds document for the 6 strands appropriate for toddlers. However, there is hardly any media on teaching phase 1 and I'm sure would be a much more profitable venture for you as every nursery in the country is a potential customer. You are welcome to PM me if you would like more information.

Hi BB100,

Thank you very much for the feedback! I had not seen the Primary National Strategy guidance and documentation before. That is an incredibly useful resource. Have downloaded what seems to be the latest publication (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/letters-and-sounds-principles-and-practice-of-high-quality-phonics-phase-one-teaching-programme) but will PM you for more information.

Thank you once again,

Karim