Moving to the area

oliviar

Hello, my boyfriend and I are moving to the area. we are moments away from exchanging and hoping to complete early July.

We would love any recommendations on the following:

Carpenters

painters and decorators

local beauticians

hairdressers - excellent blow dries

cleaners

also the best curry house as we have seen loads!

All tips would be really appreciated!

Thank you

Olivia

Jo Partrige is an excellent hairdresser in North Cross Road

Dr Boo bauty saloon in North Cross

Beauty Plus Forest Hill Road - se22

Pr Beauty in Underhill Road

The Mirash Curry House is really good Grove Vale on the corner facing Goose Green.

Hope this helps.

Everybody you ask will say something different.

Be very wary of employing tradespeople who approach you by PM on here, and also be aware that some recommendations on here are fake.

Do a search on here for Shingo at Kuki (many recommendations for haircuts) and Ganapati (all the other Indian restaurants are much of a muchness).

Suggest you have a browse around the forum. You will see that everybody has different opinions, but should get a feel.

Oh, and if you click on someone's name you will see how long they've been posting on the forum. Recommendations from first time posters are not always what they seem .....

Hi, and welcome!

Galleon Hairdressers and Beauty Plus, both on Forest Hill Road.

As for curry houses - Mirash and Village Tandoori are our favourites, but there are so many to try!

If you either of you are a fan of ale - The Flying Pig on East Dulwich Road does a great pint or two, not to mention tasty nachos, burgers, and wing night on a Tuesday :)

Good luck with your move!

I've encountered good, bad and indifferent service locally, but here are two people I'm more than happy to rave about:

Mobile beautician & hairdresser: I've used Barbara several times for eyebrow & upper lip waxing and had great results: she listened to what I wanted and didn't make my eyebrows too thin (I don't like 'em too thin!) She is a lovely, calm presence and her salon is wonderfully peaceful: but she will also come to your home if preferred. She makes gorgeous organic face cream, too (and runs courses in perfume-making) and has given me some really helpful beauty advice. I haven't used her hairdressing services yet, but plan to soon - several people on the forum have said she gave them a great haircut, which I can well believe, as she's been involved in hair and beauty for over 20 years and clearly knows her stuff. Her no is 07796 577 948

Painter & decorator: Jovaner is the best ever! He's a real perfectionist - and very thorough with his preparation - meaning that the end results not only look great but last really well. He's also a lovely, genuine person. We've had him round to carry out various jobs for us and almost every time, our weird crumbly old flat has thrown up some unexpected extra problem; and Jovaner has always gone way beyond the call of duty to sort things out for us. He's warm, generous, incredibly hard-working and just brilliant at what he does - I can't recommend him highly enough. His number is 07450 985 602.

• 5 months later...

Archived