What's the going rate for babysitters?

I'm new at this so forgive basic question...

Delightful 16 yr old daughter of friend of family is babysitting tonight and her mother says she only does it for friends and usually gets ?15 for an evening's sit. This seems awfully low. We're off to the theatre and so she'll be doing a good 4 hours and I'd like to call on her again... Mother thinks ?10 an hour inappropriate riches. What would be appropriate? Any ideas gratefully received,

R x

i think you shouldn't necessarily go against the girl's mother. and if the girl herself is happy... and also you could be pushing the rate up for other people she sits for who then maybe won't be able to afford her.

i am a firm believer in fair wages. the last baby sitter i had cost me ?9 ph several months ago and i haven't been out since because i can't afford it. it doubles the cost of a night out. during the day anyone looking after children certainly works hard and deserves it - but i simply don't understand ?9ph or even ?7ph to sit on my sofa watching telly with the lovely wine and chocolate i leave and maybe not even SEE my children!

i'm not a moany cow - but this has been a serious issue with me for a while.

I think it depends on the age of the children and what they are expected to do. My teenagers have had babysitting jobs, usually paid ?6/7 per hour and it has varied from playing xbox with an 11 year old all evening and watching movies to supervising quite young children right through from having tea to putting them to bed which is a big responsibility for a 16 year old. I have only ever really felt comfortable about them babysitting younger children if I have been at home for the evening in case they need advice, particularly if the parents are going up to town to the theatre and cannot quickly return home if required. I do agree, however, that earning perhaps ?40 for an evening watching the telly does give them an unrealistic expectation of the value of work. When they get a real job, it comes as quite a shock.

I agree with Mamma Mia and have paid everything from ?5-?10p/h for a babysitter. The Baby sitters website has guide rates for their sitters: http://sitters.co.uk

"Babysitters in central London postcode areas E EC N NW SE SW W WC

Weekdays: ?5.85 per hour

Saturdays: ?6.85 per hour"

I normally round up so ?6p/h for a weekday and ?7p/h for a Saturday.

When I was in sixth-form in the early 1990s up north I used to get paid a fiver an hour or more for collecting a six-year-old from school and taking him home where his older brother would let himself in, making a simple tea and entertaining them til about 7pm (but didn't have to do any bedtime routine). And a similar amount for evening sitting, which started early and involved a story, games etc. for the younger one and watching TV / chatting to the older one / helping with homework etc. Also did whole-day holiday care for the brothers and another six-year-old for slightly higher rates, totally exhausting!

It was a good earner and beat other jobs available at the time, e.g. retail, catering. The parents designated a neighbour, who I'd met, as an emergency contact in case of accidents etc.

Agree with Mamma Mia that it all depends on what they have to do - should be less if the kids are already in bed! But it should be an hourly rate rather than a "per-evening" rate. Also think that sitters should get paid more more for after 11pm.

Some adult sitters have a minimum time / fee for the evening - guess isn't really worth their while to come out for just a couple of hours (e.g. for a local meal), whereas a teenager might not mind this.

My friend who is a single parent despairs - whenever she goes out with her new man or even just round to his place she has to pay for a sitter, plus often going dutch for the date, which is costing her a lot when she can't afford it. Personally I think her new man sounds a bit tight-fisted!

Another option would be to organise a babysitting circle to avoid having to pay sitters' fees? I was fortunate enough to have my MIL available to babysit for me most of the time when mine were younger but also did a rota with other mums occasionally. Obviously more tricky for single mums.