Bad dog owners (dogs mess)

I know of someone whose son nearly died after contracting Weil's by playing in the street (via rat urine). Zoonotic infections are a risk that goes hand in hand with living in an environment we share with other living organisms. Fox poo (found all around ED by the way) is also a carrier of Toxcariasis so what are we going to do about that? At least most dogs are wormed. Foxes are not.

There are far greater risks to child health than dog pooh- speeding cars for instance.

First mate, two wrongs don't make a right. The thread is about dog poo and not speeding cars. Dog poo is in theory containable by clamping down on selfish, uncaring dog owners who allow their to crap all over the streets. And these kinds of dog owners are less likely to worm their dogs. The point that I was making was that people do do go blind after catching Toxicariasis after contact with dog poo.

ZT, yes, on very rare occasions a child may go blind after contact with dog pooh or fox pooh, or some other carrier, but it is a relatively rare cause of harm to humans.

My point is that a child is far more likely to die because of a speeding car than dog or fox pooh. The real issue is that dog pooh offends and it is a nuisance and that is why people dislike it. If you want to argue the case that we need to rid the streets of dog pooh because it is a major health hazard then expect a counter argument that points to more pressing health concerns.

There has been a surfeit of dog muck on the streets since as far back as I can remember (1950's) and it has not improved greatly since it became an illegal act not to clean up.

The law is failing the none dog-owning portion of society.

I cannot understand why you always leap to the defence of the offenders either first mate,

though I'm sure you would not condone this lax behaviour in 'proper dog owners' like yourself.

Steve T,

Show me where I have leapt to the defence of, or condoned dog pooh offenders? At no point have I said that I am all in favour of dog pooh or that I support those who leave their pet turds strewn around the streets (cue snigger of other forumites at ludicrous post). I just think that sometimes people try to justify a view with extreme points that don't really serve or support their argument. No rational person would say they "like" dog pooh all over the streets. There again, I feel some people get a little irrational on the subject and conflate a fear/dislike of all dogs with the issue of dog pooh (not looking at anyone in particular, Steve).

There is a solution and that is that we all clear away dog pooh when we see it ( outside our house for instance). If you use a plastic bag it cannot hurt you. Yes, it is unpleasant and yes, you may feel you shouldn't have to but where antisocial behaviour is concerned perhaps this is the only way forward- or we just go round and round, repeating the same arguments and achieving nothing?! For what it is worth, I do try to clear up other dog turds,as and when I bag those belonging to my own,just as I would pick up stuff like glass if I see it lying around- community spirit it's called.

I feel some people get a little irrational on the subject and conflate a fear/dislike of all dogs with the issue of dog pooh (not looking at anyone in particular, Steve).

Wrote first mate.

I do not fear and dislike all dogs, only the ones which offer a threat to me.

I fear and loathe the insecure 'machoman' and his dangerous "pet" who should be outlawed in my opinion.

I have just seen a Southwark council van turn up on our road with the guy painting a sign on the pavement next to the poo bin warning dog owners of fines. This was after he picked up dog mess on the pavement next to the poo bin! Not sure if the irresponsible dog owner will pay too much attention when they walk passed that sign and the poo bin again!