Which stairgate to buy?

Moving to a new place with lots of stairs and a very lively 15 month old (are we mad? probably). I know there is a good argument for not using them to teach children to take care around stairs but I need eyes in the back of my head with Oliver and there is a low level window on stairs which terrifies me. Like the idea of pressure fix stair gates but is my little bruiser likely to be able to dislodge them? Also, the gate would have to fit to the wall on one side only, and a banister on the other side, but most of the gates seem only to fix to solid walls/doorways on both sides. Does anyone have any advice on good brands, or are they all much of a muchness? Seem to vary in price from ?15 bargain basement Boots one to up to ?60. We need 4 sets so am rather hoping the cheap ones will suffice.

Thank you in advance for any posts.

Our experience with Lindam (two fixed ones for the stairs (no issue with curvy banister/wall), one pressure gate for a room entrance) has been good so far. I think the better pressure gates aren't pushed over easily. I'd rather worry about how easy it is to open the gate once your son gets a bit bigger and has seen you open the gate lots of times. Make sure to read loads of reviews and focus on things like two sided opening, ease of handling for parent/toddler etc (Kiddicare has plenty of customer reviews, check them out even if you end up buying the stairgate somewhere else). One thing to keep in mind with pressure gates is that they have a bar at the bottom that you can fall over (holding a baby in your arms while getting onto the stairs). So they're ok in between level rooms and at the bottom of the stairs but they may be a trip hazard at the top of the stairs.

hello we bought the numi ones from john lewis which are fixed to the wall and have no foot bar so no worrying whether you will trip up them! relaly would recommend as we too have many stairs and these have given us real piece of mind.

I was recently given a top tip by a paramedic. when your upstairs with toddler don't ever shut the bottom gate. if there was ever an accident and there was a tumble it is better for them to go down the stairs and hit the floor than hit the gate and potential get an arm or leg stuck and then dislocate something.