Stolen dogs in SE23 - be vigilant

Redpea

I am sure some of you may have heard about this already but yesterday lunchtime six dogs were stolen from a dog walkers van in Kemble Road, Forest Hill. The dog walker went into her house to get the dogs water. A black van pulled up, grabbed the dogs from her van and drove off. This does feel like organised dog theft to me not opportunists.

I am sharing this to raise awareness to all dog owners and walkers/boarders so we can come together as a community and be vigilant. This is the second incident within a few weeks, 6 Dogs - under similar circumstances - were also stolen from a dog walker in Streatham.

The van has been found in Crystal Palace, (was also stolen), but sadly the dogs were not. Heartbreaking for the owners. As a pet owner myself I can't even begin to comprehend their loss.

See this link below to find out more and see pictures of the dogs. Please keep your eyes peeled and report anything suspicious to the police.

http://www.doglost.co.uk/dog-blog.php?dogId=103669#.V7biSDcmGlI

Lastly please, please, think before you compromise the safety of your pet by never leaving them unattended outside shops, out of distance in local parks etc. Dog boarders/walkers and owners please lock your car doors if stepping away even if only for a few seconds. Also be aware of funny markings outside your house - pennies, sticks and chalk are often used by thieves to mark houses that have valuables dogs inside. This crime is real and it's on the increase in our suburbs...

RP

So dreadfully heartbreaking. Do you know which company this was?

Seeing as all dogs have to be microchipped now, it would make it more difficult to sell them in, in theory....but in a pub or car park, maybe not.

Can Gumtree and PreLoved plus other sites be notified?

Good idea, I'll send them the link to Doglost. They could have been taken to be sold (all were popular small toy breeds) but possibly taken for unscrupulous breeding. Puppy farming is also on the increase in this country. One of the dogs was freed/escaped (who knows?) and found in Crystal Palace park - apparently found by a man who then delivered the dog to groomer in Bromley. Fortunately this one was reunited with their owner.

I know edcam and I agree with you, but to be fair to the walker it was outside her house and she only went in to get the dogs water. She must have unknowingly been watched by these rogues. But I am sure she feels bad enough right now anyway without us pointing out the obvious.

This is the second time quite locally recently.

At least this time the dog walker didn't leave the keys in the ignition while she left the dogs in the van.

But it only takes a second to lock the door.

I'm sure she does feel bad, but did she not hear about the other incident? It was well enough publicised. I know all about it and I'm not even a dog owner.