swimwear for babies

We're hoping to take our 1 yr old swimming on holiday this summer. I have armbands and a baby ring to put her in, but was wondering about swim nappies, and whether to opt for swimming cossie or wetsuit thing. I'm a bit worried she won't like the cold(ish) water (just a normal pool, not a baby one). Any tips? Or recommendations for swim nappies?

Thank you!

Recently back from our first holiday with 8 mth old. I had bought a basic swim nappy from Mothercare, some disposable Huggies swim nappies and a UV suit. It wasn't roasting and the pool was unheated and quite chilly so I went for the UV suit every day and found it really good. Not too much of a faff to get on and off, meant only putting suncream on the exposed bits rather than all over and I also thought it kept him a bit warmer for longer (although I have no proof of this). As for the nappies, I did use the disposables quite a lot as they were good although I'm usually a cloth nappy user. I hadn't managed to get a good swim nappy in time before I went and the little Mothercare didn't seem very secure. Didn't have any accidents in either and the disposables dried out in the sun in between swims so sometimes got a couple of uses. Swimming in general was a big hit - have fun!

Splashabout neoprene swim nappies contain everything and can be washed if soiled (though fairly rare for babies to poo actually in the water).

I tend to go with Jo Jo swim nappies as very cute - frilly bums etc and they perform pretty well though may not contain poo 100% - my little one spends most of the day at the pool in these though - we have two so can swap/swill/wash etc as needed. Their sizes are big IMO so make sure you try on baby in shop over a disposable for size. They also do matching hats and UV suits that are cotton and nicer I think than a lot on the nylony(?) type ones. Not cheap though I admit.

Pool we use in Spain is unheated and can be pretty cool. We put her in a neoprene body warmer and she lasted a lot longer in the water. That was at 10 mo ths and we will use it again this year at nearly two (it just about still fits). I think they are well worth it.

Tend to not use the UV Suit all the time even in Spain so still put suncream all over, but use it for the hottest part of the day, or if I feel she needs it. They tend to sleep for big chunk of the middle of the day anyway after all the excitement during the morning, so she's in the shade, naked or in just a nappy on a towel with a muslin over her for that bit anyway. I like to doze alongside her! Blissful hols!

Molly

x