Help, Farage is spoiling my pub

malumbu

I think it's more dangerous when 'moderate' racists are in the mainstream and are dictating policy, than when 'extreme' racists are making loud noises from the lunatic fringe. Arguably Farage is even more worrying than the BNP were in the 80s.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think he's possibly quite racist in the same way

> that my mum is quite racist. I don't think he's a

> "send the ****s and ******s home" type racist. But

> maybe he's just too media savvy to go full-on John

> Tyndall . Who knows.

My mother always swore that saying 'coloured' was her

generations way of not being racist. Nothing could

change her belief.

The millennials have different beliefs to me too I think.

Times and language change. i was bought up with the term 'coloured' golliwogs and Robinson's Marmalade. i didn't associate this with the deep South, South Africa and the like. I understand now and don't use these terms. Unless you are over 80 no one can be excused. And that applies to Farage, Johsnson and all of the little Islanders. Not that Farage uses these terms i hasten to add.

...but to come back to your central dilemma malumbu. How about printing a selection of T-shirts with quotes about the unity of humanity etc, and changing into a different one each day before going to the pub? I would suggest avoiding true but inflammatory material, such as 'Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel', and instead seeking out strong but uplifting stuff.

Nice one Jenny - I think that there is some good merchandise out there already.

Essentially we had a "do not look at him" approach but the number of people doing a double take (he was having a fag outside). it was not the Red Lion BTW.

I suppose i could remind him that there will be no extra funding for the NHS should the cancer sticks have an effect..

I hammer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Wasn't Brexit an economical vote....not a racist vote?

> Get over it....we're out.

Seeing this everywhere these days; I think you're only really entitled to say that if you can say, hand on heart, that had the vote gone the other way you would have shut up about getting out of Europe for good. Maybe that does apply to you, I don't know, but it certainly doesn't apply to Farage who, as I noted above, said in March that if Remain won a close vote, say 52-48, it would by no means be over.

Oh and if you really think there wasn't a racist element to at least some people's decision to vote out then you're truly being naive.

• 3 months later...
Nigel has probably got private health insurance if he's got any sense because by the time he may need it the NHS will be so overwhelmed with lung cancer and emphysema-ridden Europeans (they ALL smoke- they did not get the intensive anti-smoking education and propaganda that we did and if you speak to them about it they come out with ridiculous excuses that we used to come out with in the '80s)that , along with diabetics- that is all the NHS will be able to afford to treat...the tax-payers' pockets are not a bottomless pit.