Baby budgeting

It depends on what you do with your baby. Our baby is breast fed, so that means no bottles or formula. We use Nature baby care nappies, works out to about ?10 per week. For changing we just use water, cotton wool and olive oil, two packs of square cotton wool pads a week. Worth mentioning that if you breast feed you will also need to buy nursing pads for your bra, i use about a pack a week, but was more in the early days of feeding. Also pads for bleeding, for the first 4-6 weeks, and in the early days after the birth, you use a lot of the maternity pads, like maybe almost a box of 10 a day (they are about ?2.50 per box i think). For bathing, we just use water, so that is free :)

Hope that helps! S

Was going to say do factor in money spent on tea/cake/lunch when hanging out with Mummy friends - it can add up over the course of a week, but it's true to say you save a lot you used to spend on going out.

You can spend a lot on baby groups too - singing classes etc but I'd say try to find the free/cheaper stuff then fill in any gaps with more expensive classes if you have an 'empty' day - 1 a week max. They all come a bit later really anyway.

Cloth nappies save a lot if you are inclined - around ?300-?400 max for all children versus ?1000 per child on posies. Equally washable wipes - better/more effective than cotton wool or wipes and about ?7.50 over 3 years versus ?400 on wet wipes over same time.

Washable breast pads worked fine for me - the ones with lace on the back stay in place the best.

Really babies can cost very little in the first 6 months, especially if breast fed, but if winter you have to factor in heating bills as you are at home full time etc.

Hope this helps.

Molly

x

whatever you think it will cost, double it, then double it again and that should cover about half of it!!

oh and get as much second hand stuff as you can from the forum, we have a moses basket and stand you can have for free if you dont mind collecting it from brockley!!

hugs.xx

Kerry,

THere is a vg pram fro sale. Chicco travel system. CAn't rem who is posting it - havea look under classifieds. We had one and it was great. it was about 300 i think and the girl selling is talking about 20 quid. it is a total bargain as I said on her thread but see if it is still around.