TEFL Advice

LadyDeliah

Hi all,

My daughter is thinking of taking a TEFL course and getting a job in Spain teaching English.

I'd be grateful for any advice on which courses are better or more widely recognised than others.

Tips and things to look out for on the job or when looking for work would be welcomed too :-)

Thanks

i can't offer any insight other than experience of one of my best friends. Didn't quite get his degree due to being young and stupid (in terms of decisions). He then went and taught TEFL in China. Is now global head of Marketing for an apps dev company and has millions in personal wealth. Native english speakers attract a massively high premium in china and if you are willing and able you will go far.

If she is a graduate or graduating next year she could look into the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme [see https://www.jet-uk.org/index.php]. I taught in rural Japan for a year in the 90s and really enjoyed it (went with a CTEFLA qualification in hand but not necessary for the programme). There are options to request city vs rural etc. You do not need Japanese before you go.

If she wants to get a TEFL qualification, I'd recommend a college-based course, rather than the online equivalent, for the teaching practice with real students.

The Guardian has a page on TEFL - https://www.theguardian.com/education/tefl - There may be some helpful advice there or links. There used to be a very good book on getting into TEFL, but I can't remember the name.