Vietnamese Caf? (not) opening in October

Alan, I realise your Estate Agent made mewling noises about "Funky Bellenden" and I guess you saw the lamp posts and thought "big things are gonna happen here".. but let's not let our imagination run riot on this one, eh?

Have a look on a map *Bob*. It would take some major gentrification for Bellenden Road to spill over into Allendale Close.

I think the problem is that some SE22 folk know that whilst it's nicer than SE15 it's not cooler.

Old St is cooler than Angel. Brixton is cooler than Clapham. Peckham is cooler than Dulwich.

Fear not though as when you're middle aged you don't have to try to be cool any more.

Well I say good luck to these guys, and I for one shall be going to check them out and lend support. This just in from one of the owners:

"We won't have a full a3 licence but we will serve traditional Banh Mi bagguettes, also steamed dumplings BAnh Bao, BAnh Cuon

and sticky rice etc. even Trung Vit long (duck embryo)!! and some soups - we don't want to get into the full restaurant thing - but concentrate on our strengths - that is coffee. Tuyen plans to do some other VN drinks - Sinh To and the like.

I imagine that things will evolve once we have got in there, but we will continue to do the mobile cafes too as they are invaluable for marketing ( & cash flow)

We hope to make the cafe as real as possible to the Saigon coffee house experience, with Viet pop music videos & decor - without trying to dilute/water it down to western tastes too much. Our business is starting to get successful because we haven't compromised too much ( ie no Viet Cappucinno ) there's a bit too much wishy washy stuff out there that plays it too safe. We will continue in this vein i think!!

cheers Rob"

BM

Alan, I noticed you omitted Camberwell from your 'coolness comparison chart'.

Where does it stand in relation to surrounding areas, so i can know where to go when my combat trousers and Converse pumps arrive from 'Next' Online?

Camberwell barely exists any more. It's Oval or Brixton in the West, Peckham in the North and East and Denmark Hill or East Dulwich in the South.

I like my bit but it's not exactly Hoxton. Maybe Mary Datchelor School development will change that.

On topic- we have already got an excellent Vietnamese Cafe though called Bay on Denmark Hill. Highly recommend it.

The main point Bob is that you feel the need to denigrate your neighbouring areas in order to feel better about yourself and your area. Your fine Bob. Just relax.

Ca phe sua da or cafe sua da (Vietnamese: c? ph? sữa ??) is a unique Vietnamese coffee recipe. Literally, ca phe sua da means "iced milk coffee". Ca phe sua da can be made simply by mixing black coffee (typically a dark French roast, often with chicory) with about a quarter to a half as much sweetened condensed milk and then pouring it over ice. The coffee is traditionally brewed with a small drip filter into a cup containing the condensed milk. The condensed milk and coffee are stirred together and then poured over the ice. Ca phe sua nong (Vietnamese: c? ph? sữa n?ng) - literally, "hot milk coffee" - is made by excluding the ice.